Re: More, more, more: SP Alco Centuries
Author: LPNGANDY
Date: 12-09-2010 - 05:36

OK, Thanks, that explains it. Most of the units I worked with were so dirty - with the grime, diesel fuel, lube oil, road dust, then a daily fresh coat of fir sawdust and chips - it was difficult to see the paint sometimes. Of course, in those days, I didn't care too much about it, as I was more concerned about keeping all the wheels up on the rails, and off of my ties. One evening, before I got on the Railroad Dept. crew, I was working in the planer mill. The siding to the mill was very close to our little lunchroom. An old-timer, Russel, and I, were taking our break there one night, when I heard SP blow horn, coming into camp to switch. They were then backing the caboose into the planer siding, to set it out before switching the shipping dock. Well, as they got right by the lunchroom, with Russel leaning against the wall, half asleep, they jumped the rail somehow, and then I saw the conductor, who had been standing in the cab door, step right into the lunch room, onto a table, as the train come to a stop! I was then looking for Russel, who I feared was under all this mess, but could not find him. As I ran into the mill building, I found Russel, still running towards his pickup, to make a faster get-away I guess. At his job, he was very slow, and I had to help him get his work done, but that night he was a track star. After the lunch room was repaired the following week, Russel never went in there again, taking his breaks in his pickup, to be ready to abandon ship again.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  More, more, more: SP Alco Centuries Steve Sloan 12-08-2010 - 09:33
  Re: More, more, more: SP Alco Centuries J 12-08-2010 - 13:51
  Re: More, more, more: SP Alco Centuries LPNGANDY 12-08-2010 - 18:09
  Re: More, more, more: SP Alco Centuries George Andrews 12-08-2010 - 18:23
  Re: More, more, more: SP Alco Centuries LPNGANDY 12-09-2010 - 05:36
  Re: More, more, more: SP Alco Centuries OPRRMS 12-09-2010 - 09:18
  Re: More, more, more: SP Alco Centuries OPRRMS 12-09-2010 - 08:57
  Re: More, more, more: SP Alco Centuries LPNDuke 12-09-2010 - 10:20
  Re: More, more, more: SP Alco Centuries LPNGANDY 12-09-2010 - 18:07
  Re: More, more, more: SP Alco Centuries LPNDuke 12-11-2010 - 13:11
  Re: More, more, more: SP Alco Centuries LPNGANDY 12-12-2010 - 18:51
  Re: More, more, more: SP Alco Centuries LPNGANDY 12-13-2010 - 08:10

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com