Oregon Trunk 1950(ish)
Author: almo
Date: 01-12-2011 - 22:49

Confused over the ownership of the Oregon Trunk (maybe a little more than OT territory) from Wishram, WA to Bieber, CA in the 1950's.

As far as I know, the SP&S owned the track from Wishram, south to Chemult - where it joined the SP. The SP&S trains ran on SP trackage rights to Klamath Falls, then picked up their own rails again to Bieber, CA. From there it was on WP rails until Keddie.

Correct me if I'm wrong. That's the way it was explained to me....

I just finished reading a past issue of a leading railroad publication about the Oregon Trunk, and in two seperate semi-related articles there are some other jurisdictions. Here they are:

One article states that the Oregon Trunk runs on SP&S tracks from Wishram, WA to a place called Stronghold, Oregon - just south of Klamath Falls, OR. From there the tracks are GN owned until they reach Beiber, then WP owned only the extreme southern portion to Keddie. This article suggests that at the time, SP only had partial ownership of the tracks between Chemult and Klamath Falls.

The other article (from the same magazine issue) states that Great Northern and SP&S both owned the line from Wishram south to Chemult, Oregon. From there, the SP and GN together owned the tracks south to Klamath Falls (with no help from SP&S). At last, Western Pacific tracks all the way from Klamath Falls, OR south to Keddie, CA.

So, Which is correct? Or are any of them?

Thanks,
almo

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Oregon Trunk 1950(ish) almo 01-12-2011 - 22:49
  Re: Oregon Trunk 1950(ish) PNWRailfan 01-13-2011 - 01:20
  Re: Oregon Trunk 1950(ish) Graham Buxton 01-13-2011 - 06:27
  Re: UP Operations on OT today? Tom Rawson 01-15-2011 - 09:03
  Re: UP Operations on OT today? George Andrews 01-15-2011 - 09:24
  Re: Oregon Trunk 1950(ish) Captain Underpants 01-13-2011 - 01:25
  Re: Oregon Trunk 1950(ish) George Andrews 01-13-2011 - 08:10
  Ghost of the WP -GN interchange d 01-13-2011 - 12:12
  Re: Ghost of the WP -GN interchange George Andrews 01-13-2011 - 12:49

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com