UP Heritage in SLC
Author: Richard Elgenson
Date: 07-03-2007 - 12:17

Hello All,

I was in Salt Lake City over last weekend to photograph the heritage fleet. On Saturday, while almost tripping over some barbed wire fencing on the east side of the wye, a guy in an orange vest told me to be careful. Later, I asked him if he was a UP employee since he had a nice red UP hat on. He said, no, he was the graphic designer of half the heritage fleet and that he worked at the public relations firm across the street from UP headquarters in Omaha. One email from UP before the event said the units would be photographed in private on Friday, which they were. Marty told me that Trains Magazine had the exclusive for that photo session and that they used a lift to photograph the locomotives from above. He also stated that some people were hiding outside the yard to try to get some photos. A photo I found linked from TrainOrders.com shows the heritage units as they were staged for the Friday gig, which was not open to the public. UP changed their plan for the public at the last minute to keep photographers out of the yard, since there was easy walking access to the wye from a nearby cul-de-sac. Table scraps or not, at least the railroad was nice enough to do this for anyone who cared to venture to SLC, as I did.

I got plenty of pictures and will post them on my web site, hopefully before the end of next weekend. I made a visit to the Golden Spike historic site and will post that too.

Any TO member is welcome to cut and paste this message into the TO thread.

Richard Elgenson
TrainWeb.com
Trainweb.org/richard

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  UP Heritage in SLC Richard Elgenson 07-03-2007 - 12:17

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com