Lucius Beebe & Charles Clegg
Author: Drew Jacksich
Date: 07-10-2011 - 09:14

Probably the greatest influence on how I photograph were the books of Lucius Beebe and his partner Charles Clegg. Several years back, Clegg's sister, Ann Clegg (? I can't recall her married name) did a presentation at the Virginia & Truckee Symposium about a book she and a ghost writer were preparing.

In her presentation, she talked a lot about Beebe & Clegg's relationship and a lot about Beebe himself. One factoid was the truth about Beebe's photo of "Boiler Wash Bill Fryk" in the cab of #27. Fryk was not even a V&T employee but instead what used to be called a "hobo" whom Beebe paid to pose for the shot. The watch Fryk is holding is, in fact Beebe's Hamilton. At the time, no V&T employee would be seen with Beebe for fear of their job, as Major Sampson and Beebe had a major falling out over the then proposed abandonment of the railroad.

Facts such as that have come out in recent years adding to the oft repeated comment that Lucius never let the truth interfere with a good story.

My question is, was that book ever published or did it die the death shared by so many well inteded projects of drowning in "round tuits"?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Lucius Beebe & Charles Clegg Drew Jacksich 07-10-2011 - 09:14
  Re: Lucius Beebe & Charles Clegg boilerfoam 07-10-2011 - 10:11
  Re: Lucius Beebe & Charles Clegg Tom Moungovan 07-10-2011 - 10:41
  Lucius Beebe & Charles Clegg d 07-10-2011 - 15:06
  Re: Lucius Beebe & Charles Clegg Espee99 07-10-2011 - 17:20
  Re: Lucius Beebe & Charles Clegg Alfred Doten 07-12-2011 - 23:32

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com