Date: 07-26-2011 - 19:11

Pdxrailtransit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [tribune-democrat.com]
> Bloomberg-gift-fuels-anti-coal-agenda
>
> And the guy is a Republican no less.

He's now an Indepedent.

However, there are lots of pro-coal "Democrats" such as the governor Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Congressman Mark Critz who replaced Jack Murtha to represent the Johnstown area and Jason Altmire who represents suburban areas outside of Pittsburgh.

Even if we
> stopped burning fossil fuels tomorrow, this would
> be no guarantee that sea levels will not rise
> enough to cause problems for coastal cities.

I think we have a moral obligation to try to reduce Greenhouse Gas emissions.

> Foreign demand for coal is strong, and will be
> exported, if it is not consumed domestically.

Maybe less there will be less demand if taxes to compensate for the environmental costs of its extraction are levied on coal.

A
> recent plan to export coal from Longview is
> apparently on hold link.

Forget about global warming issues for a moment. The Appalachian Mountain forests are among the most diverse ecosystems in the US, but the coal industry is destroying large parts of it. The methods coal companies use to extract coal in Appalachia are appalling. Entire tops of mountains are cut off to get at the coal. The waste is dumped into streams forever destroying them - about 2,000 miles of streams. Large retaining ponds are also repositories for coal waste and have the potential to spill into surrounding areas.

While I have no illusions that the US can wean itself off coal, and I think some environmentalists are overly optimistic that wind, solar and other alternative energy sources can completely replace coal, I also feel that coal advocates grossly underestimate the potential of these sources as well as conservation measures (Yes, I use a computer, no I don't have a home air conditioner and I've been dealing with 90-degree temperatures)>

With respect to jobs, other wind & solar energy creates jobs in manufacturing, distribution and installation of these devices. Weatherization of old homes can create jobs to conserve energy, too.

Additionally, the coal industry through practices such as mechanization and extraction of coal through blowing off the tops of mountains has eliminated many mining jobs as well in recent years. The Massey Company, one of the biggest coal companies in the Appalachian region has also reduced wages and benefits by converting union mines to non-union operations.

Lastly, I heard Warren Buffet, who bought BNSF, say on the Charlie Rose show, that the US ought to wean itself off coal, a very interesting remark considering the amount of coal hauled by BNSF.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Michael Bloomberg and Coal Pdxrailtransit 07-26-2011 - 16:04
  Re: Michael Bloomberg and Coal David Smith 07-26-2011 - 18:18
  Re: Michael Bloomberg and Coal Coal Slaw 07-26-2011 - 19:11
  Re: Michael Bloomberg and Coal Drew Jacksich 07-26-2011 - 22:33
  Re: Michael Bloomberg and Coal Rich Hunn 07-27-2011 - 07:38
  Re: Michael Bloomberg and Coal BobWilliams 07-27-2011 - 10:52
  Re: Michael Bloomberg and Coal PNWRailfan 07-27-2011 - 13:40
  Re: Michael Bloomberg and Coal BOB R 07-27-2011 - 14:23
  Re: Michael Bloomberg and Coal -- 3 questions... George Andrews 07-27-2011 - 22:35
  Re: Michael Bloomberg and Coal Rich Hunn 07-28-2011 - 16:42

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com