Re: Two Shay or NOT two Shay
Author: Tom Moungovan
Date: 07-27-2011 - 21:20

Really nice photos...I think the last one is right at the road X-ing in Elbe. That locomotive is a favorite of mine and has been for years. She was the last one built, the last one to see service...rock trains in '61 and perhaps into '62. She was used for a couple of days in the summer of '62 for the company photographer and then was retired. They didn't even bother to turn her when she went back out to Hoko Camp for storage. Normally, all steam power faced south, whether at Hoko or at Dickey Camp prior to that. When I saw her in 1968, she sat nose to nose with 2-6-6-2T 8.
She was the only Willamette to come with a feedwater heater, a Worthington contact type. Rayonier bought her from J. Neils who liked the device, but after a short time at Rayonier, it was taken off. I have seen pics of her at Dickey Camp with the Worthington still mounted.
Anyway, nice job Drew. You showed off her good looks really well, thanks. The only surviving example of the 75-3 class of Willamette.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Two Shay or NOT two Shay Drew Jacksich 07-27-2011 - 18:44
  Re: Two Shay or NOT two Shay Tom Moungovan 07-27-2011 - 21:20

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com