Oakland 16th St. Open House Yesterday
Author: Dragoman
Date: 07-29-2011 - 09:34

Anybody else get to go?

I got there a little late, but I thought it was quite a party! Continuous food & live music (a bit too loud for my taste, but I wasn't there for the music!). The only interior space open was the main hall, which is now pretty much devoid of any railroad-related fixtures, except for a few roped-off long wooden benches (which did look to me like they could have been in service in the olden days). Some interesting videos were being shown (though one had to stand there to watch -- no seating!), mainly focusing on the history of the interurbans in the East Bay and across the Bay Bridge (Sacramento Northern, Key System, as well as SP's Red Cars).

The back of the building (elevated interurban platform and adjacent 16th Street Tower were off-limits, but one could get closer than anytime in many years. They also had an oral history booth, where they were collecting people's reminiscences of the depot.

Even in its dilapidated state, she is still a grand old lady! It is so great that the developer is trying to find ways for creative reuse.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Oakland 16th St. Open House Yesterday Dragoman 07-29-2011 - 09:34
  Re: Oakland 16th St. Open House Yesterday BOB R 07-29-2011 - 12:33
  Re: Oakland 16th St. Open House Yesterday raef hansom 07-29-2011 - 15:57

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com