Chicago Amtrak Trip
Author: Steve Harrison
Date: 08-17-2007 - 12:15

Folks,

I will finally be making my Amtrak Chicago trip I first mentioned here on 5/12 (and thanks to all the folks, particularly 'jackel', for the good responses back then). The Needles (to access Parker, AZ) part was done by car because of the inconvenient times that the Chief stops there.

My reservation is Solana Beach-Fullerton Surfliner, Fullerton-Chicago Chief, Chicago -Chicago Ridge METRA about week before Labor day; returning Chicago Ridge-Chicago METRA, Chicago-Los Angeles Eagle/Sunset, Los Angeles-Solana Beach Surfliner a day or so after Labor day. Have coach tickets and will try to upgrade to sleeper en-route to save $$$.

I don't really 'foam'. I will not have a camera or scanner with me, just my fantastic Altamont Timetables, and my SPV railroad atlases. I will have a car in the Chicago area, and will be staying about halfway between Chicago Ridge METRA station and the METRA Rock Island line.

My questions: 1. What are the out-the-window trip highlights of the AMTRAK trip. 2. I will probably want to spend a day riding trains/transit in the Chicago area, I am interested in anything on rails. Is there any all-day transit passes that can be purchased? Anyone have a good plan for riding the most in a day (or two)? 3. What happens in San Antonio for eight hours? Any safe place to go and have dinner or drinks near the station? Do they kick coach passengers off of the train for the eight hours?

Thanks in advance for any help. This board I think is the best and friendliest train place on the Internet.

Thanks,
Steve

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Chicago Amtrak Trip Steve Harrison 08-17-2007 - 12:15
  Re: Chicago Amtrak Trip Ed Von Nordeck 08-17-2007 - 13:07
  Re: Chicago Amtrak Trip Sunset Express 08-18-2007 - 06:56

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com