Re: Evil Incarnate
Author: Erik H.
Date: 09-08-2011 - 21:08

I actually agree with the opinion piece.

Just because I'm a railfan doesn't mean I think trains are the solution to every problem. And as a daily TriMet bus rider I've seen the problems that have resulted from spending billions (yes, billions with a "B") on light rail to the detriment of the truly regional bus system.

You may argue that the lower income folks would be better served by public transit and I agree - they would benefit. But when we spend a billion bucks on one seven mile train from downtown Portland to Milwaukie and the poor folk is trying to get from an apartment complex in Aloha off TV Highway to Washington Square to their retail sector job in the middle of the day or on a weekend - we're cutting that person's bus service to pay for development-oriented transit in Milwaukie. How is that logical? We're actually ENCOURAGING more auto transport by eliminating bus options.

Heck, just look at WES. Limited service, too expensive (seven times more expensive than a bus), really serves nothing. Yes, it's a train. I admit I even take pictures of it when it goes by. But despite living less than a mile away from the Tigard WES station, the ONLY times I've used WES was when I was completely bored and wanted to go for a ride (or to take my son for a ride), or to chat with a particular WES Engineer I've known for many years. Each time I've ridden (and I don't ride the last train of the day either) the trains are a bit more roomy than the #94 bus I ride in the morning/afternoon to and from work, and not because the DMU is twice as long as the bus. That bus I ride makes a bona fide profit for TriMet thanks to the fact that every seat is filled and there's standees. Yet, TriMet is cutting those bus options to placate what are essentially railfans in high places.

Instead of getting worked up because someone is (gasp!) not favoring a particular railroad project, take the time to understand the issue. There's a lot of pro-rail folks who admit that WES was a mistake. There's lots of pro-rail folks that admit that TriMet is wrong in disinvesting in the bus system and that has had a negative impact in overall transit usage. Much of the MAX ridership - especially on the Westside line - comes from folks who drive themselves to a park-and-ride lot - which increases local auto trips!! Most bus ridership comes from folks (like myself!) who walk from the front door of their home, to a bus stop, from the bus stop to their work - and vice-versa. There's a reason why TriMet is spending so much time and energy building parking garages, especially with at least two mega-parking facilities within Milwaukie. Frankly, the Cascade Policy Institute is absolutely correct - there are better, cheaper, faster options that would encourage more public transit usage.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Evil Incarnate Pdxrailtransit 09-07-2011 - 11:47
  Re: Evil Incarnate Uhh huh 09-07-2011 - 11:51
  Are sure he is not using real lead Pdxrailtransit 09-07-2011 - 11:53
  Re: Are sure he is not using real lead OldPoleBurner 09-08-2011 - 12:36
  Re: Are sure he is not using real lead theconductor 09-08-2011 - 20:45
  The Patent Absurdity of "Wheels to Wealth" Pdxrailtransit 09-07-2011 - 12:30
  Re: The Patent Absurdity of "Wheels to Wealth" up833 09-07-2011 - 14:32
  Re: The Patent Absurdity of "Wheels to Wealth" David Smith 09-07-2011 - 20:12
  Re: The Patent Absurdity of "Wheels to Wealth" Dan 09-07-2011 - 17:25
  Re: The Patent Absurdity of "Wheels to Wealth" rasputin 09-07-2011 - 17:34
  Re: The Patent Absurdity of "Wheels to Wealth" Z-Train 09-07-2011 - 20:28
  Re: The Patent Absurdity of "Wheels to Wealth" David Smith 09-09-2011 - 21:36
  Re: The Patent Absurdity of "Wheels to Wealth" Visitor 09-10-2011 - 06:08
  Re: The Patent Absurdity of "Wheels to Wealth" z 09-10-2011 - 07:56
  Re: Evil Incarnate Rich Hunn 09-07-2011 - 15:44
  Re: Evil Incarnate Kid in a candy store 09-07-2011 - 20:38
  Re: Evil Incarnate BOB R 09-08-2011 - 11:31
  Re: Holiness Incarnate Commuter 09-08-2011 - 13:53
  Re: Holiness Incarnate mook 09-08-2011 - 20:12
  Re: Evil Incarnate Brian 09-08-2011 - 19:32
  Re: Evil Incarnate Mike Swanson 09-09-2011 - 11:36
  Re: Evil Incarnate Erik H. 09-08-2011 - 21:08
  Re: Evil Incarnate Brian 09-08-2011 - 21:32

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com