"There Isn't A Mixed Train I Wouldn't Take . . .
Author: Holly Gibson
Date: 10-01-2011 - 16:20

. . . no matter where it's going."

With the news media covering the listeria-tainted Rocky Ford cantaloupes that hail from a farming area of southeastern Colorado, I was wondering if any participants of this bulletin board may have ridden and/or photo-documented ATSF mixed train Nos. 85 and 86 that operated on a now-abandoned secondary line that extended from Swink, CO to Holly, CO? This line served the farming area in question and probably died off soon after the traffic switched to trucks. I don't know how late the mixed service lasted, but a July 1963 Official Guide I have still shows it. The mixed trains originated and terminated at La Junta, which was approximately 4.9 miles east of Swink.

Perhaps, if necessary, through two or three degrees of separation, we can find someone who rode and/or chased these trains and photo-documented the experience. Maybe they could post some pics here.

I don't believe I've ever seen any photos of these trains or the line on which they ran.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  "There Isn't A Mixed Train I Wouldn't Take . . . Holly Gibson 10-01-2011 - 16:20
  Re: "There Isn't A Mixed Train I Wouldn't Take . . . DH 10-02-2011 - 20:58
  Re: "There Isn't A Mixed Train I Wouldn't Take . . . Craig Tambo 10-04-2011 - 01:24

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com