Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA?
Author: Hep
Date: 08-27-2007 - 12:33

The Quincy "center" was a boondoggle from the start. The State (through WSDOT) funded that project, mainly as a counter to BNSF closing it's intermodal ramp at Wenatchee. That particular ramp, while well-used, had a problem of balance of loads out vs. in. It was something like 99.5% outbound. The railroads are not interested in hauling in empty trailers. If somebody could get truckers to bring in empty "boxes", I don't think there would be any problem for the BNSF to take them away but the "good old boys" are not going to haul in an empty and then have somebody else leave with it.

To compound the initial boondoggle, there was a recent attempt to actually expand the Quincy facility despite the fact that it has been sitting dormant.

As for most of the garbage traffic to/from Spokane, it is mainly handled by originating or terminating trains like the SPOLVJ/LVJSPO. There is normally no need to make a special stop for it anymore.

I haven't been down on the P&L either, so I can't speak about pea/lentil loading down there. The usually-steady warehouse at Fairfield, WA that was served by the UP Plummer Turn is looking pretty dormant lately. I don't know when the last time I saw a boxcar go to Fairfield, but then I don't get a chance to go after the Plummer much anymore these days.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? Agent 86 08-24-2007 - 16:02
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? SDP45 08-24-2007 - 18:18
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? SDP45 08-24-2007 - 18:31
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? Rich Hunn 08-24-2007 - 19:30
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? S. L. Murray 08-24-2007 - 20:55
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? Rich Hunn 08-24-2007 - 21:03
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? Bruce Kelly 08-27-2007 - 07:28
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? Hep 08-27-2007 - 12:33
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? Bruce Kelly 08-27-2007 - 14:30
  Re: Intermodal centers for Minot and Bismark, what about Quincy, WA? Ross Hall 08-29-2007 - 17:33

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com