Re: SP Heritage in the Salinas Valley
Author: Chuck
Date: 08-27-2007 - 12:40

Sam,

Thanks for sharing. It brought back a memory of about 30 years ago. I was a lineman on a crew removing an open wire toll lead that ran between King City and Soledad. The poles, etc., ran along the hill. The tracks were between the pole lead and road. We had to pack everything in. Being real green to the job, I believed my partner who convinced me that it ould be ok just to drag out a C Rural wire behind us, rather than roll it up and carry it. We all were sure that the trains didn't run during the heat of the day! I picked up the climbing tools, saws, etc. and headed up the hill. My all-knowlegeable partner followed, towing the C Rural wire off of a spool on the truck. He wrapped it around his tool belt at the waist to help. Next thing I heard was one long and two shorts of not a horn, but of explatives coming from my partner. Yup, a train appeared, caught the wire and proceeded to tow him a hundred yards down the hill on his all knowlegeable A__, before it broke the wire and released him.

When I got to the top of the hill with my load of tools, etc., I yelled back at him to query what was taking him so long! His jeans had a lot missing around where you sit, and it was all I could do not to laugh. All day, he kept trying to convince me that those darn trains NEVER run during the heat of the day. Yeh, sure.

Chuck
Bastrop TX

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  SP Heritage in the Salinas Valley Sam Reeves 08-27-2007 - 11:38
  Re: SP Heritage in the Salinas Valley Mike Anderson 08-27-2007 - 12:21
  Re: SP Heritage in the Salinas Valley Chuck 08-27-2007 - 12:40
  Re: SP Heritage in the Salinas Valley Sam Reeves 08-27-2007 - 16:28
  Re: SP Heritage in the Salinas Valley avogel 08-27-2007 - 16:44

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com