Re: Time for Plan B?
Author: BOB2
Date: 10-19-2011 - 08:20

I expect the current program of sheer insanity is just about over at the CHSRA.

I suspect that the Feds will sdhortly allow a significant diversion of some of the ARRA monies, which will likely lapse, if the CHSRA continues on its current incoherent course, to LOSSAN projects, which are truly "shovel ready".

These LOSSAN projects could include double track, signal improvements, bridge widening, speed improvements to 110 mph, and grade separation projects. These projects will benefit vast numbers of current users, allow for faster speeds, shorter travel times, and more service, on the second busiest rail passenger corridor in America, relieving real future congestion on I-5.

I support the TRAC proposal for Altamont improvements as a high priority in revising the entire plan. This "missing link" would contribute to shorter travel to the bay area from the all of the major Valley urban centers, at a cheaper cost, and with immediate benefits from implementing more near term rail passenger service, in the already severely congested 99 and I-580 corridors.

I support a more thoughtful analysis of the various grapevine alternatives for the "north-south" connector between Santa Clarita and Bakersfield. I support immediate extension of LOSSAN intercity services to Burbank Airport,Santa Clarita, and Palmdale-Lancaster, which would improve access in this corridor. This alternative would also include joint operation of HSR-IC-Commuter services on a common "shared" urban corridor, at speeds only up to 110 mph.

I support looking at the option of developing a State and Federal policy change in the Surface Transportation Act to a private franchise mechanism to build a super high speed segment along the I-5 through the Valley, as part of a franchise to also add lanes and rebuild the aging I-5 using a public private partnership franchise. This "franchise agreement" option would allow private firms to compete to finance, design, and build these improvements using tolls on cars and trucks to finance the road improvements, with the right of way shared with HSR on appropriate segments. I would support the same option to connect the Desert Express via the High Desert Corridor between Victorville and Palmdale-Lancaster allowing a direct connection to the LA Basin.

All of these things can be done at a far lower cost and with more liklihood of success than any of the nonsense and gibberish that has been proposed from the mismanaged, wasteful, and utterly incompetent efforts of the CHSRA. All of these things, starting with diversion to LOSSAN put people to work, now, on things we actually need, now.

The Federally mandated State Rail Plan needs to be revised to faully incorporate the concept of a fully integragted HSR, intercity, and regional rail system. And. most important the current HSR legislation must be amended to reform and restructure what has been a dysfunctional "run amok" CHSRA. We taxpayers need to see value added in the way this project is managed in the future, rather than seeing more of the tragedy of the tax monies wasted, mostly for nothing, thus far.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  CAHSR costs may surge Ellipsis 10-18-2011 - 11:54
  Re: CAHSR costs may surge m 10-18-2011 - 15:12
  Re: CAHSR costs may surge Tax Payer 10-18-2011 - 16:24
  Re: CAHSR costs may surge Anthony G. 10-18-2011 - 17:39
  Re: CAHSR costs may surge Realist 10-18-2011 - 18:04
  Re: CAHSR costs may surge Nicholson 10-19-2011 - 09:58
  Re: CAHSR costs may surge BOB R 10-18-2011 - 20:18
  Re: Time for Plan B? BOB2 10-19-2011 - 08:20
  Re: Time for Plan B? synonymouse 10-19-2011 - 11:18

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com