Re: Truncation of the BNSF San Jacinto Branch
Author: Gary Hunter
Date: 11-05-2011 - 14:58

Gerald, the same way any other operation becomes a reality: Money, work and cooperation by like-minded people. My comment suggested that perhaps something a little more intelligent than selling a working rail corridor off in piecemeal fashion could happen, even if it takes railbanking the corridor. Since the corridor is already owned by a transit authority, the corridor should persist. My only fear is that line segments not developed currently might be sold. 501(c)3 Museums get donations of rail, ties, signals and other infrastructure miscellany from railroads. The museum already has a connection to the San Jac, but would probably have to have a separate track to the end of Metrolink ops. When a rail corridor is used in any fashion, it keeps the local community aware of its existence and potential use for transit and freight. It's sort of like weed spray for NIMBYs. So much of the ROW of the onetime empire of the PE was just mindlessly abandoned without regard for the need being expressed in current times. I always advocate keeping extant rail corridors intact. No one ever thought S. California would develop a population of 30+ million and truly need an alternative to the autos and freeways which ironically doomed the interurban. The OERM operates on a remnant of the California Southern (ATSF) which was abandoned. They used the very process I've described to become a premier operating museum.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Truncation of the BNSF San Jacinto Branch Marty Bernard 11-02-2011 - 16:54
  Re: Truncation of the BNSF San Jacinto Branch OERM Otaku 11-02-2011 - 20:33
  Re: Truncation of the BNSF San Jacinto Branch Severe Duty 11-02-2011 - 23:37
  Re: Truncation of the BNSF San Jacinto Branch Severe Duty 11-02-2011 - 23:34
  Re: Truncation of the BNSF San Jacinto Branch mook 11-03-2011 - 09:20
  Re: Truncation of the BNSF San Jacinto Branch Gary Hunter 11-04-2011 - 13:02
  Re: Truncation of the BNSF San Jacinto Branch Gerald Westfall 11-04-2011 - 19:47
  Re: Truncation of the BNSF San Jacinto Branch Gary Hunter 11-05-2011 - 14:58
  Re: Truncation of the BNSF San Jacinto Branch Gerald Westfall 11-05-2011 - 19:17

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com