Re: Train Orders versus Track Warrants
Author: Tom H
Date: 09-04-2007 - 21:13

I won't disagree with Tom V. about track warrants eliminating jobs. I will say that the dispatcher of 30 years ago, with a timetable and train order operation was less harried than today's track warrant dispatcher. More time to contemplate moves usually improves the whole operation.

When I started dispatching trains and operators had radios but in the dispatchers office we did not. If we wanted to send a train order to a train on the radio we sent it to an operator and they repeated it back and then used the radio to deliver it to the train. Also you did not always need every train to be at an open station before you made changes. It depended on what was being changed.

CTC fueled the decline of the open stations with operators. I will say that with todays traffic volumns a non CTC territory would require many more employees if we still used train orders. I personally feel that checking off numbered boxes is more risky than listening to an operator repeat every word back to the dispatcher as he underlines them in his train order book.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Train Orders versus Track Warrants Tom 09-04-2007 - 16:45
  Re: Train Orders versus Track Warrants Tom Veasey 09-04-2007 - 17:51
  Re: Train Orders versus Track Warrants Tom 09-04-2007 - 20:09
  Re: Train Orders versus Track Warrants Craig Tambo 09-04-2007 - 21:08
  Re: Train Orders versus Track Warrants Tom H 09-04-2007 - 21:13
  Re: Train Orders versus Track Warrants Rich Hunn 09-05-2007 - 09:02
  Re: Train Orders versus Track Warrants Train Order Dispatcher 09-05-2007 - 08:15
  Re: Train Orders versus Track Warrants Tom G 09-05-2007 - 10:14
  Re: Train Orders versus Track Warrants Contraditcions Abound 09-05-2007 - 11:02
  Re: Train Orders versus Track Warrants Ross Hall 09-05-2007 - 17:31
  Re: Train Orders versus Track Warrants Train Order Dispatcher 09-06-2007 - 00:30

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com