Re: End of the line nears for Sanderson, TX, depot
Author: Mistertower
Date: 12-29-2011 - 02:20

I remember when I first hired on with the Railroad 22 years ago and I used to travel alot. I made my first trip to Sanderson in early 1991 taking train #2 out there, laying over in that Depot in the middle of the night, then after day break, taking #1 back to LA. SP still had an Operator out there, but he was really a "Do it all" clerk of all trades, from doing payroll to driving crews around in a Carryall, to communicating with the Dispatchers HD15 and HD16. The whole night I was there, not one freight train came through between Amtrak Trains, so I spent most of the night talking to the Operator onduty, and hanging out in the trainman's room, that I was told was part of the old Restaurant at one time. Seemed sad even then, knowing it was a far cry from the way it more than likely was years back. Then not long after that, the two SP Trains hit head on (don't remember the location and date) and SP used it as an excuse to change the re-crew location to Alpine, and this just about shut down the Depot. SP, and later UP used the extreme East End of it for MofW offices, but the rest was wide open and abandoned, seemed kind of strange. I am not surprised that UP wants to tear it down, for the handful of employees they have out there, it is not worth paying to maintain a big old building like that for them.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  End of the line nears for Sanderson, TX, depot OPRRMS 12-28-2011 - 12:27
  Re: End of the line nears for Sanderson, TX, depot John West 12-28-2011 - 18:23
  Re: End of the line nears for Sanderson, TX, depot Mistertower 12-29-2011 - 02:20
  Re: End of the line nears for Sanderson, TX, depot 37BPU 12-29-2011 - 09:02
  Re: End of the line nears for Sanderson, TX, depot Mistertower 12-29-2011 - 14:29
  Re: End of the line nears for Sanderson, TX, depot WAF 12-29-2011 - 18:09
  Re: End of the line nears for Sanderson, TX, depot Z-Train 12-29-2011 - 05:34
  Re: End of the line nears for Sanderson, TX, depot DH 12-29-2011 - 05:52
  Re: End of the line nears for Sanderson, TX, depot Z-Train 12-29-2011 - 08:36
  Re: End of the line nears for Sanderson, TX, depot Tex 01-10-2013 - 05:10
  Re: End of the line nears for Sanderson, TX, depot Sandersonite 01-10-2013 - 05:16

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com