Re: Genset questions
Author: SP5103
Date: 01-11-2012 - 09:14

Detroit is also fronting for MTU. MPI did rebuilt some units for PHL a few years ago that had single Detroit-MTU engines in them. They are already being re-repowered with CATs under the claim that the Port wants the latest technology, but I heard PHL had nothing but problems with the MTUs. A friend of mine that works tugs says that many of the older tugs with EMDs are being repowered to meet California's emissions requirements for harbor work, and MTU is actually preferred. I remember hearing that a builder (Brookville?) is working on a 4000 hp MTU powered passenger design. I don't think any MTUs have been used for gensets yet.

The 2100 hp rating for CCT 2101 is suspect. Diesel engines have several horsepower ratings, and North American practice has been for builders to rate their locomotive's horsepower as the input to the main generator/traction alternator. The gross or brake horsepower (bhp) is actually higher, since it includes hp used for auxiliary power, excitation and cooling. CCT 2101 is probably around 1950 traction hp - actually a little less than a GP38(-2,-3). I have never seen a genset builder mention what the electrical losses are compared to a conventional loco design.

Many of the smaller industrial loco designs were rated by their builders in bhp. I have seen GE rate many of their designs by either. It is odd that GE was one of Cummins biggest customers during WWII and afterwards, with GE installing Cummins in almost every design except for use of CATs in 44/47 tons, and use of some Cooper-Bessemer and Alcos in larger designs. All these Cummins were small bore 1800 rpm engines, except the LI-600 used in the long-frame 80 tonners which was 1000 rpm. In the mid 1950s, GE got in a fight with Cummins over their failure to begin production of useable NVH series engines. Cummins lost out as GE used CAT D379/397/398/99 engines for their 50/52/54/68 ton and U5/6/8/10/15 designs, and chose the Cooper-Bessemer FV series that became the FDL for larger locos. Now Cummins has a dizzying array of large engines for locomotives - for gensets or single prime movers.

Regardless - any new "clean" diesel is suspect. I bet 10 years from now they will be obsolete due to inability of parts (engine and electronic) or being prohibited to rebuild them insisting on re-engining with even cleaner designs.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Genset questions Richard 01-09-2012 - 18:09
  Re: Genset questions Dave Buccolo 01-09-2012 - 20:30
  Re: Genset questions Drew Jacksich 01-09-2012 - 23:49
  Re: Genset questions Graham Buxton 01-10-2012 - 05:30
  Re: Genset questions Shortline Sammie 01-10-2012 - 07:08
  Re: Genset questions OPRRMS 01-10-2012 - 07:59
  Re: Genset questions Rich Hunn 01-10-2012 - 15:58
  Re: Genset questions Drew Jacksich 01-10-2012 - 20:54
  Re: Genset questions SP5103 01-11-2012 - 09:14
  Re: Genset questions BN Oly 01-11-2012 - 20:34

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com