Re: SP to Trona runthroughs?
Author: SP5103
Date: 02-06-2012 - 21:08

Thanks to all for the dates - I had the years figured right based on Trona's roster changes.

I think any e-bay record would be set by the Colorado narrow gauge foamers - they are definately "dedicated" (aka crazy).

THe Jawbone was originally built to supply the building the LA aquaduct, though there had been other proposals before. I would imagine the track from Mojave to Searled was upgraded fairly fast due to the Trona traffic, and saw and still sees just about any mainline power. Between Searles and Lone Pine-Owenyo was a different story. IIRC much of this section was something like 75# rail to the end. There just wasn't that much coming off the narrow gauge transfer at Owenyo. When the narrow gauge closed, the traffic didn't change that much as PMT continued to provide a reload at Lone Pine.

I know the Jawbone had boiler water supply issues, and was known to run an auxiliary water tender. The upper end of the line got big ten-wheelers on the passenger train, and some of the Mikes on the freight which was three round trips per week (day up-day back) for years. Power for the Lone Pine Local came out of Mojave, so was RSD-5, SD-9, GP-9 and SD39. There was a restriction on what power could run on this end of the line.

Not sure what Trona would have loaned SP. They had the three AS616s, but if the SD-9 was blue carded that might have been a better choice since the SP crews would have been more familiar. Regardless, there was a good chance that the last unit in Lone Pine was ex SP (unless it was #52). I wonder how much of a riot you could cause on e-bay with Photoshop?

Maybe Dave will chime in. I think he was at trona in this era?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  SP to Trona runthroughs? SP5103 02-06-2012 - 10:22
  Re: SP to Trona runthroughs? WAF 02-06-2012 - 12:50
  Re: SP to Trona runthroughs? D. Megowan 02-06-2012 - 12:56
  Re: SP to Trona runthroughs? Rich Hunn 02-06-2012 - 13:06
  Re: SP to Trona runthroughs? SP5103 02-06-2012 - 21:08
  Re: SP to Trona runthroughs? Dick Dorn 02-06-2012 - 21:44
  Re: SP to Trona runthroughs? Hutch 7.62 02-07-2012 - 18:42

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com