Re: "Train": a proposed sculpture for NYC's High Line park
Author: Trackwuurk
Date: 03-27-2012 - 19:55

I enjoy visiting art museums. In fact, I'd rather spend a Sunday afternoon visiting an art museum than watching a football game. I have little patience with those who criticize public art or dismiss interest in art history as "elitist."

I also had the pleasure of walking the High Line last year. I feel an excellent job was done of making this an elevated park and it incorporates many artistics elements into it.

Therefore...

It's disgusting that Koons work is even being seriously considered. A steam locomotive hanging from one end is completely out of place artistically and historically with the High Line (or for that matter, anywhere, including San Francisco).

Steam locomotives were never used on this line. If Koons has $25 million to blow, it would be much better to spend a portion of this money on restoring an RS3 (an example of a locomotive which did operate on the line) and painting it into NYC colors or another diesel and perhaps one or two freight cars.

In reading to comments following the article, it's disappointing to read the number of comments favoring the proposal. At the same time, it's encouraging to read he number of posts which state this is a very bad idea.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  "Train": a proposed sculpture for NYC's High Line park <...> 03-27-2012 - 11:06
  Re: "Train": a proposed sculpture for NYC's High Line park Low Line 03-27-2012 - 13:53
  Re: "Train": a proposed sculpture for NYC's High Line park Jim Fitzgerald 03-27-2012 - 14:24
  Re: "Train": a proposed sculpture for NYC's High Line park Scott Schiechl 03-27-2012 - 14:44
  Re: "Train": a proposed sculpture for NYC's High Line park Trackwuurk 03-27-2012 - 19:55

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com