Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line
Author: johoff
Date: 03-28-2012 - 09:19

The SP displayed the “new” streamlined Sunset Limited in Pasadena a few days before the inauguration of service on August 20, 1950. My mother and father took me to the SP siding, which was east of the Santa Fe Pasadena mainline and depot, and bordered the Arroyo Seco Parkway (a city street extension of the “freeway,” which terminated at Glenarm Ave. The abbreviated consist included a diner, the French Quarter lounge car, a 10-6 sleeper and a chair car, if I recall. That was a real thrill for a six-year old! Unfortunately, the SP Pasadena branch track was removed a few years later, possibly to make room for a widening of the adjacent city street which flowed into the Arroyo Seco Freeway.

In 1956, my parents took me to the Santa Fe Pasadena depot to tour the new Hi-level El Capitan, prior to it being placed in service on July 15, 1956. The train was parked on a Santa Fe siding opposite the depot. Again, it was an abbreviated trainset, probably about four cars. I still have the commemorative souvenir gold coin that was presented to each “traveler” on the static display. The 1-1/4-inch coin included the Conquistador on one side and a Hi-level chair car on the other. I always enjoyed the tours of new trainsets offered by the railroads.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Tim 03-27-2012 - 19:20
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Eugene Salinsky 03-27-2012 - 21:06
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line johoff 03-28-2012 - 09:19
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line BOB2 03-28-2012 - 10:29
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Howard Wheeler 03-28-2012 - 11:34
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Marty Bernard 03-28-2012 - 12:45
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Robert Scott 03-28-2012 - 14:05

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com