Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line
Author: Howard Wheeler
Date: 03-28-2012 - 11:34

Growing up in Monrovia during the 40's thru 60's, we made family trips on the red cars into Los Angeles for shopping and adventure. The highlight was eating at Clifton's Cafeteria.

I don't recall seeing any trains on the SP line to Arcadia, but I do remember the connector being constructed from the PE right-of-way to the SP's over Sawpit Wash at Mountain Ave. I believe some of the concrete footings from that bridge are still visible.

I did observe SP switchers working the small yard and feed mill behind the PE depot on the south side of Olive Ave. One night we were coming up Myrtle Ave. and observed some fusees and emergency vehicles just south of Olive. A couple of cars had been shoved through the end of one of those tracks, across the sidewalk, and halfway across Myrtle. Now that was big time excitement in Monrovia!

In high school, one of the standard exercises during driver training was to head for Olive on the first rainy day in order to learn how to drive on streets with slippery rails, a skill that I've seldom been required to employ.

It's obvious even today that W. Chestnut between Myrtle and 5th Ave. was the former right-of-way; very few businesses or homes front on the street.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Tim 03-27-2012 - 19:20
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Eugene Salinsky 03-27-2012 - 21:06
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line johoff 03-28-2012 - 09:19
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line BOB2 03-28-2012 - 10:29
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Howard Wheeler 03-28-2012 - 11:34
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Marty Bernard 03-28-2012 - 12:45
  Re: SP Pasadena branch and PE Monrovia line Robert Scott 03-28-2012 - 14:05

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com