Re: Amtrak needs a few good men...
Author: Ruth Gabriel
Date: 10-06-2007 - 19:11

Good Evening, All,
This is Ruth, Roy's Wife. Roy and I had a very deep love and connection that will never end. His untimely death has been a terrible shock to me, as well as to his children and their mother, and, of course, all those who knew him -- co-workers, legislators, lobbyists, railfans, close friends. There truly are no words that can express the sorrow and pain we now feel. I only know that Roy has already blown a train whistle or two in Heaven.

Roy and I have been commuting between Sacramento and Lakeway, Texas, since we married in April 2002. Five and a-half years are not enough time to spend with the love of one's life.

Roy and I attended the NRHS National Convention together when it was held at the Grand Canyon, traveling from Union Station in LA to Williams, AZ. We also traveled to Cuba with the PLA in early 2003, which was a life-long dream come true for him. He road some very rare rail miles, sat on the top of a steam engine, got to engineer one at a sugar mill, which if memory serves me correctly, had 3 different sizes of rail gauge, road the Cuban Hershey Line and got to blow the whistle at a cow that just wouldn't be moved off the tracks. He was truly in his element. In 2004, I surprised him with a birthday gift train trip to Portland, Oregon, where we visited downtown Portland, road the light rail and the downtown, stayed in the Columbia Gorge Hotel, took the Mount Hood round trip scenic tour, ate a romantic dinner on their night train, and chased trains from the Oregon border crossing over to the Washington border and back. Another life-long dream comes true. This December, 2006 -- New Year's Eve weekend -- we went to Santa Fe, New Mexico, where we road the Santa Fe Railway train. We did not make it to Lamy due to the unexpected snow storm, but made it to El Dorado. What a beautiful site to see all that pristine snow and brightness from a vantage point that most people never see. We did many things together, and each time I see a train, which I never paid much attention to before we met, I will always remember him.

Roy had a wonderful mind and great compassionate heart. As was his habit, telephone numbers or e-mail addresses were not written in an address book, of a sort; just in the address book of his memory. If there are folks that you know Roy knew, would you let me know so that I can either e-mail them, or phone them.

I will be receiving all of Roy's mail at our Texas address. That address is 218-B Sailmaster Street, Lakeway, TX 78734. If you wish to contact me, I can be reached at the home phone:(512) 261-1802, or my cell phone: (512) 657-8381. My e-mail address is tarnedlog@aol.com.

Thank you all for your support and sharing your memories of Roy.

Success to the Railroad,
Ruth Gabriel

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Amtrak needs a few good men... Tom 10-03-2007 - 23:52
  Re: Amtrak needs a few good men... A. S. Perger 10-04-2007 - 16:23
  Re: Amtrak needs a few good men... Ruth Gabriel 10-06-2007 - 19:11
  Re: Amtrak needs a few good men... Mike 10-08-2007 - 08:36
  Re: Amtrak needs a few good men... Key Route Ken 10-12-2007 - 20:39

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com