Re: Cameron Junction Double Wye Question...
Author: Ed Johnson
Date: 05-05-2012 - 16:40

Randall,

The BNSF Cameron connection was dedicated on Friday June 21, 1996. The BNSF held a private ceremony about 2 P.M. at the junction of the two wyes. Two locomotives were used, BN 9771 (EMD SD70MAC) and AT&SF 8251 (EMD SD75M). The BN locomotive faced north on the BN wye and the AT&SF locomotive faced south on the AT&SF wye. Local Galesburg officials and press were invited. The locomotives moved slowly to touch noses after a "golden" spike was driven.

As I was checking the area out earlier, a BNSF policeman suggested that I NOT be on the township gravel road close to the wyes that afternoon. So, I talked to a farmer (BNSF had bought some of her land) at her house on the west side of the connection (It was cloudy, so sun was not a concern). She gave me permission to walk out through a bean field (I did not step on any plants) to get close enough for photos. She rode her horse out to the fence to watch. After hearing from me what was about to happen, she called some of her neighbors so they could watch.

Just read your question today, 5-5-12. Oddly, Amtrak's 3, 4, 5 & 6 each used the connection twice to make the Galeburg, IL. Amtrak station stop yesterday, Friday May 4, 2012, because 13 cars of an empty westbound coal train derailed (high winds suspected) Thursday night in Kewanne, IL. Westbound No. 6 had ex-Mil Sky Top Observation "Cedar Rapids" on the rear as the train raced through Edelstein, IL.

Ed Johnson
Peoria, IL.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Cameron Junction Double Wye Question... Coleman Randall, Jr 04-20-2012 - 09:33
  Re: Cameron Junction Double Wye Question... Cagey Age Caen 04-20-2012 - 11:00
  Re: Cameron Junction Double Wye Question... Dmac844 04-20-2012 - 13:02
  Re: Cameron Junction Double Wye Question... Mistertower 04-20-2012 - 15:17
  Re: Cameron connection Tim 04-20-2012 - 16:24
  Re: Cameron connection Mistertower 04-22-2012 - 18:30
  Re: Cameron Junction Double Wye Question... Ed Johnson 05-05-2012 - 16:40

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com