Re: Tehachapi visit
Author: Burr Wilson
Date: 04-25-2012 - 10:14

John, your photos of the Tehachapi loop and Tunnel 2 area are superb.
Earlier in the week, my teenage son and I were there on a spring photo expedition. We caught plenty of action following a rare snowfall that dusted the loop and blanketed Tehachapi town. Rattlesnake Hill was windy and cold, snow blew into my digital camera lens, and froze the focus mechanism. Sad to say, my photos are not up to snuff for viewing by this audience.
For the benefit of others interested in visiting this area, Tehachapi statio has been splendidly rebuilt into a visitors center and museum. It contains a beautiful collection of RR historic materials and signal equipment. Railfan-friendly docents and local residents there informed us that Rattlesnake Hill is owned by a person who is tolerant of railfan interest in the loop, and has allowed foot traffic onto the property. They advised us to keep the area clean of litter and respect the land, so that privilege of access won't be revoked.
Of interest, there are plans underway to extend sidings on the pass. A second track is to be laid in a cut alongside Rattlesnake Hill, bypassing Tunnel 10 while joining the sidings at Walong and Marcel into a super-sized passing track. I suppose that when construction commences, the earth moving equipment will muck up the place and probably restrict access to this great photo spot.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Tehachapi visit John West 04-22-2012 - 15:26
  Re: Tehachapi visit Drew Jacksich 04-22-2012 - 22:49
  Re: Tehachapi visit Peter D. 04-24-2012 - 23:14
  Re: Tehachapi visit Burr Wilson 04-25-2012 - 10:14
  Re: Tehachapi visit John West 04-25-2012 - 19:53
  Re: Tehachapi visit Tom P. 04-25-2012 - 21:57

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com