Re: NTSB preliminary report on 2011 BNSF Red Oak, IA, collision
Author: Fatigue
Date: 04-25-2012 - 10:21

Great. Fatigue. Gee, really? How unusual!

Sleep Apnea notwithstanding, the original draft of the Railway Safety Improvement Act contained language requiring the carriers to provide a 10-hour call notification, versus the 90 minute call time now. The idea behind that 10 hours would allow the crew member to plan their rest in advance of being on duty. Of course, the railroads successfully lobbied that part away. It is nearly impossible to plan crew starts ten hours in advance, given the unpredictable nature of interstate railroading.

Sleep Apnea? In addition the already heavy grip we carry over the road, now those afflicted will also carry a C-PAP machine. My grip- with everything I'm supposed to have- already weighs 43 pounds. Our hotel will not provide us with a locker room, so putting it there isn't an option. And who will pay for another machine, anyway? The healthplan I have (United Healthcare/UTU group) will not allow a second machine for the away terminal. Hell, a replacement mask is $93.00

Positive train control? Read: "Had the positive train control/Electronic Train Management System currently in development been installed on the Creston Subdivision, it most likely would not have prevented this accident because it does not identify the rear end of a standing train as a target and because it allows following movements at up to 23 mph."

I could go on, but my opinion just doesn't matter. Corporations will continue to operate as they do, I get paid, etc. etc.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  NTSB preliminary report on 2011 BNSF Red Oak, IA, collision OPRRMS 04-25-2012 - 00:02
  Re: NTSB preliminary report on 2011 BNSF Red Oak, IA, collision Chris Walker 04-25-2012 - 02:30
  Re: NTSB preliminary report on 2011 BNSF Red Oak, IA, collision Fatigue 04-25-2012 - 10:21
  10-hour calls J 04-25-2012 - 10:51
  Re: 10-hour calls Rich Hunn 04-25-2012 - 12:40
  Re: 10-hour calls Fatigue 04-25-2012 - 15:37
  Re: NTSB preliminary report on 2011 BNSF Red Oak, IA, collision OPRRMS 04-25-2012 - 12:54

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com