Bye Bye (ex) WP San Jose
Author: Gary Hunter
Date: 06-22-2012 - 12:54

On my way home yesterday, I noticed a hi-rail truck sitting on (over)the north abutment of the Hwy 101 overpass of the onetime WP San Jose branch. It was only a few minutes and my heart sank a bit. It was Thursday, the usual operation day of the "local" on the remnant of San Jose branch. When I reached the Berryessa Ave crossing, I spotted another hi-rail truck nearby. I looked up and noticed the gate arms had been removed from the counterweights and the signal lights turned inward, as had all of the crossing signals beyond the 101 overpass a few years ago. It completely dashed my hopes that BART and the freight ops could co-exist. One of the arguments I have voiced was that retaining the conventional rail line along with BART --possible-- would prove a valuable foresight at some future point. As anyone who has read some of my posts knows, one of my main philosophical points about "high speed" trains of any sort is that if we don't build quasi-parallel "slower speed" feeder and distribution lines for HSR, you can drop the "H" in HSR. The fire that just happened in Oakland is a very good example of needing to have itinerant non-asphault options for rail systems whose failure translates into millions of dollars of loss and enormous congestion per day. For my money, the Bay Bridge East end replacement should never have been approved without at least building in the option to retrofit with light rail. I believe that qualifies as stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. Aah, se la vie.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Bye Bye (ex) WP San Jose Gary Hunter 06-22-2012 - 12:54
  Re: Bye Bye (ex) WP San Jose Juppo 06-22-2012 - 14:10
  Re: Bye Bye (ex) WP San Jose Michael Mahoney 06-22-2012 - 16:21
  Re: Bye Bye (ex) WP San Jose R Ruiz 06-22-2012 - 16:28
  STB abandonment decision [link] OPRRMS 06-22-2012 - 17:51
  Re: Bye Bye (ex) WP San Jose DCA 06-22-2012 - 17:49
  Re: Bye Bye (ex) WP San Jose Gary Hunter 06-22-2012 - 20:17
  Re: Bye Bye (ex) WP San Jose hepkema 06-22-2012 - 21:56
  Re: Bye Bye (ex) WP San Jose Jim B 06-23-2012 - 09:53
  Re: Bye Bye (ex) WP San Jose Brian Bergtold 06-23-2012 - 11:37
  Re: Bye Bye (ex) WP San Jose Gary 06-23-2012 - 20:14
  Re: Bye Bye (ex) WP San Jose mook 06-24-2012 - 10:59

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com