Re: Terrified Caltrain passengers forced to jump out of way of train
Author: daniel3197
Date: 09-15-2012 - 14:49

Mr Severe Duty almost all Caltrain stations were setup
with the platform setup that is used at the South SF Caltrain station.
Caltrain started rebuilding --reconfiguring the platforms in
the mid 1990s when the giant Belmont--San Carlos grade seperation project was started.
Then came the Caltrain "Ponderosa Project"in the year 2000 when Menlo Park and
several other stations were changed to "OUTBOARD Platform" configuration.

The Caltrain JPB has steadily kept converting station platforms until you get
what we have today with only these stations remaing in the
old traditional "Single Side Platform" format (subject the GCOR Rule 6.30 PROTECTION) :
South SF , Broadway, Atherton, and College Park.
Of those stations only South SF has extensive WEEKDAY service.
ALL OTHER OLD PLATFORM stations on Caltrain see very Limited Weekday or weekend service.
This helps Caltrain to avoid having to protect the Broadway and Atherton stations because they see NO service
on the busy weekdays. I understand that College Park only has 1 or 2 trains scheduled to stop there so
that basically eliminates 98 percent of the operational issue there.

By the way the Amtrak Capitol Corridor had a very SIMILAR TERRIFYING incident to this
one in the early 1990s at DAVIS.
I mention this Davis incident in the hope that this may JOG the memory of some folks who hopefully
will add more info about that very scary Davis incident.
In that Davis, California incident a WEST SP freight BARRELED trrough the Davis Station DURING
the LOADING of an eastbound Capitol Corridor Train. People were reported to be SCRAMBLING for cover
in that early 1990s incident.
I remember that SP management was at fault there because of the removal of a westbound signal that
formerly had protected the Davis station.
I think that was yet another cost--cutting move of the short--sighted Moyers administration.
I read about that Davis incident in the old FLIMSIES print Railfan Newletter .
This happened just PRIOR to the internet era -- just Barely prior to the wild popularity of the internet.
I do hope again that this post of mine helps to jog some memories.
---- Daniel

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Terrified Caltrain passengers forced to jump out of way of train Howard 09-15-2012 - 04:50
  Re: Terrified Caltrain passengers forced to jump out of way of train Not Surprised 09-15-2012 - 13:02
  Re: Terrified Caltrain passengers forced to jump out of way of train Severe Duty 09-15-2012 - 13:57
  Re: Terrified Caltrain passengers forced to jump out of way of train Graham Buxton 09-15-2012 - 14:05
  Re: Terrified Caltrain passengers forced to jump out of way of train Margaret (SP fan) 09-15-2012 - 14:20
  Re: Terrified Caltrain passengers forced to jump out of way of train Cowtrain 09-15-2012 - 19:44
  Re: Terrified Caltrain passengers forced to jump out of way of train daniel3197 09-15-2012 - 14:49
  Re: Terrified Caltrain passengers forced to jump out of way of train Jeff Sloan 09-16-2012 - 08:25
  Re: Terrified Caltrain passengers forced to jump out of way of train Severe Duty 09-16-2012 - 11:52

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com