West Oakland Laundry
Author: Key Route Ken
Date: 10-24-2007 - 21:02

Hi Everybody--
Thought I'd take you back to the old days in SP's West Oakland Yard and give you a brief look-see at the QUANTITY of linen that was handled and the "fair wage" that was paid to those many workers who labored to "keep SP linen clean" ...

Two or three years ago, I ran an article on T.O. about the gigantic commercial laundry that Southern Pacific operated next to the Coach Yard at West Oakland. I believe that Tony Johnson has a copy of this article in his archives. It gave a breakdown on the number of items cleaned, laundered or pressed EACH MONTH. It was astronomical-- over one million pieces of linen per MONTH...

I recently was going thru a bunch of stuff I've collected over the years and I found a listing of the employee TITLES and their PAY RATE who worked in that incredible facility. The West Oakland Laundry had several hundred workers.
I toured the place as a young boy during the height of its operations. It was TWO story as I recall. Sewing machines and other smaller appliances on the second floor.. Washers, Dryers, Presses, Looms, etc on the first floor.
Here then are the lists of the TITLES and their PAY RATES... We will lump these into TWO separate groups... PAY RATES shown are HOURLY ...

GROUP A.

Head Linen Sorter .69
Linen Sorters .63
Linen Sorter Helpers .56
Linen Checkers .54
Linen Porters .54
Head Washman .72
Washmen .63
Wringermen .63
Tumblermen .49
Laundry Porters .52
Assistant Head Marker and Distributors .69
Markers and Distributors .63

GROUP B.

Head Presser .53
Pressers .46
Linen Checkers and Tyers .42
Head Linen Folder .53
Linen Folders .42
Starchers and Coat Inspectors .42
Rest Room Attendants .42
Forelady Flatwork Ironer .53
Flatwork Ironers .42
Seamstresses .44

Note: GROUP 'A' employees HAD to be MALE...

GROUP 'B' employees HAD to be FEMALE...

ALL employees in the Laundry were considered "CLASS 1" , except for "Seamstresses" who were classified as "Class 2" ...

If a NEW employee was hired for LAUNDRY SERVICE with NO prior commercial experience in work of this type, then their PAY RATE would be TEN cents an hour less than the rates posted, for their first 30 days on the job.

Their rate of pay was then FIVE cents an hour less than the rates posted, for the second 30 day period on the job. After the first 60 days on the job, the various rates shown above would be in effect for the new employee.

The positions of: Head Marker and Distributor, as well as Forelady Seamstress were covered under a different Agreement.

The rates I have listed were in effect as of March 1, 1939...

Kind of different from our HOURLY PAY today, huh ???

I found my tally regarding the SP West Oakland Laundry :
What do you think ?

On a typical three-day RUN, a Dining Car was stocked with up to 2000 misc linens.
220 Tableclothes
1000 napkins
250 Doilies
Numerous Aprons & Waiters Coats

On a typical peak Summer day in the height of the tourist season, the West Oakland Laundry in the Coach Yard processed the following average amounts, EACH DAY...

14006 Napkins
5022 tableclothes
11000 Towels
2531 Aprons
1175 Coats
1333 Sheets
Untold misc other things..

TOTAL of 1,500,000 pieces EACH MONTH !!

It would be rather interesting "trivia" to know the totals for the amount of water, soap, bleach, starch and fabric softener that was used.

I wonder if our good friend CAROL VOSS does that much laundry for CARL ?? He,He..

Cheers !!

"Key Route Ken"...

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  West Oakland Laundry Key Route Ken 10-24-2007 - 21:02
  Re: West Oakland Laundry The Montezuma Yardmaster 10-24-2007 - 21:13
  Re: West Oakland Laundry Tom Moungovan 10-25-2007 - 06:46
  Re: West Oakland Laundry Key Route Ken 10-25-2007 - 07:37
  Re: West Oakland Laundry Woody 10-25-2007 - 08:16
  Re: West Oakland Laundry Joe Thyle 10-25-2007 - 08:43
  Re: West Oakland Laundry Steven D. Johnson 10-25-2007 - 21:55
  Re: West Oakland Laundry ROLLAND A. MEYERS 10-25-2007 - 12:49
  Re: West Oakland Laundry Key Route Ken 10-25-2007 - 13:17
  Re: West Oakland Laundry SDP45 10-26-2007 - 13:53
  Re: West Oakland Laundry Key Route Ken 10-26-2007 - 19:41

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com