Re: "Norcal" railroad club
Author: Frisko Mid
Date: 11-28-2012 - 18:17

Hi

WOW, they are still around?? And really, they meet at Pete's in Millbrae? I live right near there and might just make it to the Tuesday meeting coming up in December.

Years ago, many years ago, when I worked at the Pacific Telephone Company, a co-worker, Al Thoman was I believe one of the earliest, and perhaps one of the founders of NORCAL, I think in 1937.

Back in the early 1980's I went on a NOTCAL fantrip, riding the Muni's Iron Monster streetcar #1, with the famous "Nowhere in Particular" signboard displayed. We spent the day touring through the City and stopped in the Sunset District for dinner at a quite good Italian restaurant called the Bon Vivant. Then we continued the journey down Market st at night when somebody broke out a couple of bottles of Champagne that was smuggled on board. That was an awesome trip that beautiful November day about 30 years ago.

I also attended a NORCAL dinner, maybe it was the Xmas dinner, when the president of the club, and longtime Muni employee, Angelo Figone would spend the pre-dinner cocktail hour greeting everyone and once the party was seated, he stood up and introduced every single person by name. An amazing memory feat to say the least, some the attendees, he only met for the first time moments before.

Great times long ago..

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  "Norcal" railroad club SP4460 11-23-2012 - 21:20
  Re: "Norcal" railroad club Margaret (SP fan) 11-23-2012 - 23:47
  Re: "Norcal" railroad club Disco Dave 11-24-2012 - 08:05
  Re: "Norcal" railroad club Ken Shattock (KRK) 11-24-2012 - 12:37
  Re: "Norcal" railroad club Bruce bernhard 01-31-2017 - 10:08
  Re: "Norcal" railroad club SteveD 12-03-2022 - 21:40
  LA railfan club for the deaf. Pdxrailtransit 11-24-2012 - 12:55
  Re: "Norcal" railroad club SP4460 11-24-2012 - 16:16
  Re: "Norcal" railroad club ff 11-24-2012 - 18:27
  Re: LA railfan club for the deaf. Big Ed Burrito 11-24-2012 - 20:48
  Re: "Norcal" railroad club Frisko Mid 11-28-2012 - 18:17

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com