Re: Truss Railway
Author: Ernest H. Robl
Date: 11-03-2007 - 10:32

While I can't offer any first-hand information about the cape, the shuttle solid fuel boosters are certainly shipped from the manufacturer in Utah to the cape by rail, so presumably there are still some rails at the cape. Part of the design of the boosters was the sections of the boosters had to fit within the standard rail profile.

Not that long ago (a few weeks ago?) one of these trains was involved in an accident when it derailed. If I recall correctly, the derailment happened when a bridge under the train failed.

One fitting aspect of the location of the booster manufacturer is that it is only a few miles from the site of the Golden Spike National Historic Site (GSNHS), where the first transcontinental railroad was completed. In fact, if you drive to the GSNHS from the Salt Lake City area, you drive by the loading facility where the booster sections are placed on railcars. The booster sections are trucked a short distance from the plant to the loading site.

-- Ernest

P.S.: I believe the "truss railway" is simply a small unit that can move back and forth along an exterior truss of the station.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Truss Railway Sput Nick 11-02-2007 - 16:28
  Re: Truss Railway Ernest H. Robl 11-03-2007 - 10:32

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com