Meanwhile on the Death Railway
Author: Ben Kletzer
Date: 12-19-2012 - 00:10

Despite all of the press about the IP Santa Cruz trains, as a Santa Cruz native, i have yet to photograph these train, because I am in Thailand! So here is a shot from my recent railfan trip to the Death Railway.

[www.flyerguide.net]

The Death Railway, properly called the Thai-Burma Railway was built by the Japanese during 1942-1943 to support their invasion of Burma and India. They used 100,000 POWs mostly British and Australian as well as a few American to build the line through the harsh jungles and steep mountains of western Thailand into Burma. Over 12,000 POWs died building the line mostly from jungle diseases and the harsh beating meted out by the Japanese guards and engineers. The Death Railway was immortalized in the 1957 movie the Bridge over the River Kwai.

Nowadays, the Thai portion of the railroad is run by the State Railways of Thailand as far as Namtok, the site of a massive waterfall and multiple national parks.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Meanwhile on the Death Railway Ben Kletzer 12-19-2012 - 00:10
  Re: Meanwhile on the Death Railway Drew Jacksich 12-19-2012 - 09:54
  More from the Death railway Ben Kletzer 12-19-2012 - 22:44

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com