Re: National HSR: Don't send a Graphic Designer to do a Civil Engineer's Job!
Author: That Guy With The Genset
Date: 02-08-2013 - 13:45

synonymouse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suggest you are being unnecessarily pessimistic
> about possible speeds over Tejon. The big problem
> is political, with the superior alignment passing
> right thru the Tejon Ranch at the Bear Trap Canyon
> and a planned golf course. My understanding is
> two six mile tunnels and crossing both the San
> Andreas and Garlock faults at grade and moderate
> curves so long as they do not have to skirt the
> holiest of holies Tejon Ranch Co. golf course.
>
> So I think 100mph is feasible over the hill. This
> is hardly my area of expertise but evidently the
> limiting factor on speed of the mountain crossing
> is not the acceleration side but the deceleration.
> You need to regulate the downhill speed for
> safety reasons.

Actually, I was presuming 110-120 MPH myself, with a minimum of 90 MPH. Sorry for a lack of clarification.

As for the issue with Tejon, I had no idea that it was connected to property owners that the line would bisect some proposed golf course! If these fellas had any pragmatics, they'd have bought the superior ROW for HSR during the recession, or started planning earlier. In fact, because of suburban sprawl and the affiliated NIMBYist mentality--which, I should add, independent of political leaning, an example bein how many vitriolic conservative NIMBYs exist here in Orange County and spearheaded movements like Derail the Rail--we've limited our options for expanding infrastructure without angering some party significantly. If the agencies involved with them had some foresight, many passenger rail lines would have a substantially better physical plant.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  National HSR plan by Berkeley CA designer Carol L. Voss 02-07-2013 - 19:52
  Re: National HSR and Other HSR Fantasy Planning? BOB2 02-07-2013 - 21:33
  Re: National HSR and Other HSR Fantasy Planning? Margaret (SP fan) 02-07-2013 - 22:19
  Re: National HSR and Other HSR Fantasy Planning? R Ruiz 02-07-2013 - 22:56
  Re: National HSR and Other HSR Fantasy Planning? synonymouse 02-08-2013 - 10:07
  Re: National HSR and Other HSR Fantasy Planning? Anonymous 02-08-2013 - 11:34
  Re: Don't know much about freeways either? BOB2 02-08-2013 - 13:01
  National HSR: Don't send a Graphic Designer to do a Civil Engineer's Job! That Guy With The Genset 02-08-2013 - 10:31
  Re: National HSR: Don't send a Graphic Designer to do a Civil Engineer's Job! synonymouse 02-08-2013 - 12:23
  Re: National HSR: Don't send a Graphic Designer to do a Civil Engineer's Job! That Guy With The Genset 02-08-2013 - 13:45
  Re: National HSR: Don't send a Graphic Designer to do a Civil Engineer's Job! synonymouse 02-08-2013 - 14:27
  Re: National HSR: Don't send a Graphic Designer to do a Civil Engineer's Job! stash 02-08-2013 - 16:36
  Re: National HSR: Don't send a Graphic Designer to do a Civil Engineer's Job! That Guy With The Genset 02-08-2013 - 22:34
  Re: National HSR: Don't send a Graphic Designer to do a Civil Engineer's Job! Guy from DownUnder 02-09-2013 - 00:35
  Re: National HSR: Don't send a Graphic Designer to do a Civil Engineer's Job! That Guy With The Genset 02-09-2013 - 11:43
  Re: National HSR plan by Berkeley CA designer Observer 02-08-2013 - 11:35
  Re: National HSR plan by Berkeley CA designer Dr Zarkoff 02-08-2013 - 18:46
  Re: National HSR plan by Berkeley CA designer Termed Out Politico 02-08-2013 - 19:45

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com