Re: Union Pacific Riverside Job
Author: Gary Hunter
Date: 02-10-2013 - 16:27

Great stuff, Snuffy. Too bad it's a requiem. I have a PE photo/history book that shows a PE car being "passed" by a cab-forward and a 5000 3-cyl.on 9th St. prior to the removal of the PE tracks to Riverside around 1943. PE (?)used the SP tracks from Colton to Riverside Jct, (ATSF) thereafter. The PE and SP remained parallel until after crossing the Santa Ana River, and diverged after that point. I put a question mark because I don't know if it was PE or SP that continued freight service to Corona until around 1970. Before 1960 --or so--SP ran all the way to the next ATSF diamond (May) and on to Corona through Riverside streets. After abandonment of the street trackage, SP used their own tracks to Riverside Jct., then jumped on the ATSF to bypass the miles of street running in Riverside, and returned to home rails at May. As was the case with many of the eastern lines of the PE, SP (being half-owner of PE anyway) had trackage rights on the lines. Too bad to see all of that go away, but thanks for documenting the last run, Snuffy.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Union Pacific Riverside Job Snuffy 02-08-2013 - 19:45
  Re: Union Pacific Riverside Job Gary Hunter 02-10-2013 - 16:27
  Re: Union Pacific Riverside Job Snuffy 03-19-2013 - 17:59

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com