Re: Silver Solarium
Author: Steven D. Johnson
Date: 01-03-2007 - 14:51

Indeed, this car was between the power and the rear coach as earlier described. Amtrak utilizes the push/pull configuration on the Valley service. A similar operation is the Coaster down in the San Diego/Oceanside area. Both operations use the hi-level design of cars, and push/pull.

This car is also equipped with 27-pin MU connections as well as HEP (480VAC 3 Ph), which allows any placement in train. I do not know if this car is qualified on the NEC, but any varnish handled by Amtrak in-train must have full HEP (corner taps no longer allowed) and if I'm not mistaken, must also be 27-pin MU capable.

This fine example of ex-CZ equipment, like the Lariat, still retains Budd sill skirting and lighted lucite handrails to the dome. Look for the Silver Lariat in Operation Lifesaver specials, and other charters.

If you are unfortunate enough (like me) to not have had the chance to ride these cars in revenue service under the CB&Q, WP and D&RGW flags, these owners provide a fine chance for your friends and family to charter trips, as available. The owners or firms may possibly be contacted through the American Association of Private Car Owners (AAPRCO), or possibly their own web sites.

One last 'observation'... I found it striking, that even though the car was between the engine and coach, truly the wrong spot for such grace, as it pulled away from the Fresno depot, it was the only moving thing on that train that made the street lights' reflection dance and glimmer. Nothing like Budd fluted stainless!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Silver Solarium Steven D. Johnson 01-02-2007 - 16:19
  Re: Silver Solarium Steven D. Johnson 01-02-2007 - 18:44
  Re: Silver Solarium Vapor Trail 01-02-2007 - 22:56
  Re: Silver Solarium Gary 01-03-2007 - 06:49
  Re: Silver Solarium Ernest H. Robl 01-03-2007 - 09:08
  Re: Silver Solarium Eugene 01-03-2007 - 10:36
  Re: Silver Solarium Steven D. Johnson 01-03-2007 - 14:51
  Re: Silver Solarium Mike Hawk 01-03-2007 - 16:29
  Re: Silver Solarium Steven D. Johnson 01-03-2007 - 20:26
  Re: Silver Solarium Bon Mot 01-03-2007 - 20:31
  Re: Silver Solarium William Nicholson 01-04-2007 - 08:56
  Re: Silver Solarium Steven D. Johnson 01-04-2007 - 17:03

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com