Re: Train signals
Author: Steven D. Johnson
Date: 12-12-2007 - 12:11

My rulebook (GCOR) states Delayed within a block in CTC varies from same in ABS, in that ABS requires movement at restricted speed, whereas in CTC it is prepared to stop short of next signal and not exceeding 40 mph. Delayed, by the way, is when the train falls below a speed of 10 mph.

As far as ABS and TWC, on the district I run on, these two methods are actually combined for about 50+ miles, and we follow block signal indication but our main track authority is governed by TWC. Recently, the Co. has been upgrading portions of that district to include more CTC.

Uniformity of signals/authority to a same national standard sounds nice, but how many crew members have senority coast to coast? Just Amtrak, with Sadie Hawkins day, I imagine. I'm pretty sure I'll never be worried about navigating the Water Level Route or the NEC. In summary, I suspect adequate training with an employee 'wash-out' set of proficiency standards would be far more useful and cost-effective than what is currently in place. Dumping all over the employees for wearing finger rings or not maintaining 3-point contact seems to be far more prevelant than teaching them to learn the quirks of their district and how to switch safely in all of their district's different yards.

Opinions are like A**holes; we all have one, and they all stink, including mine. Hopefully, we can all realize that not one man has all the answers or all-encompassing experience. It's a big country, and there all kinds of regional differences. For example, we don't have a red over flashing green signal on my district, but we do have yellow over flashing green: "Approach Limited" (proceed past next signal not exceeding 60 MPH, prepare to advance on diverging route not exceeding prescribed speed through turnout). Yet, at that location (East Empire, westbound) the switch max speed is 50 MPH. So, actually that signal should have been changed a long time ago when they put the double track in to "Advance Approach"- Yellow over Green (same text, but not exceeding 50 MPH).

So how is this handled? You now have a situation where a marginal crew could blow through that switch 10 MPH overspeed, which is FRA de-certifiable, if I'm not mistaken. How about changing the signal? That sure sounds easy, yet it's never been done. Maybe there's a good reason, but I'm not aware of it. Ultimately, we each put our lives in the others' hands, so I believe that a certain amount of personal responsibility (omigod I didn't just say THAT!) would go a long way toward equipment and personal longevity. It'd be great if the carriers would put genuine heart and effort to seeing to it that people are REALLY qualified and should be out there, and putting more thought and care into new signal placement (don't get me started!), but that's something that really needs a little bit of work. I know I wasn't even remotely comfortable with being a Conductor for a long time!

And, now, let the flaming begin!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Railroad Newsline for Wednesday, 12/05/07 Larry W. Grant 12-04-2007 - 20:00
  Train signals Robert 12-05-2007 - 13:07
  Re: Train signals bruce bennett 12-05-2007 - 14:21
  Re: Train signals Tom Farence 12-05-2007 - 16:09
  Re: Train signals david vartanoff 12-05-2007 - 18:12
  Re: Train signals MK 12-06-2007 - 12:49
  Re: Train signals Matthew Sabath 12-06-2007 - 11:38
  Re: Train signals J 12-07-2007 - 06:14
  Re: Train signals OldPoleBurner 12-06-2007 - 00:56
  Re: Train signals Coleman Lantern 12-06-2007 - 01:37
  Re: Train signals M. Harris 12-06-2007 - 14:27
  Re: Train signals No station stop 12-07-2007 - 11:31
  Re: Train signals j 12-07-2007 - 12:27
  Re: Train signals L/R 12-08-2007 - 10:44
  Re: Train signals Steven D. Johnson 12-12-2007 - 12:11
  Re: Train signals Milw Trainman 12-10-2007 - 09:13
  Use Canada Signals here in USA for a UNIFORM system Daniel3197 12-10-2007 - 10:30
  Re: Use Canada Signals here in USA for a UNIFORM system George Andrews 12-10-2007 - 10:42
  Re: Use Canada Signals here in USA for a UNIFORM system Craig Tambo 12-10-2007 - 16:22
  Re: DON'T Use Canada Signals here in USA for a UNIFORM system Steven D. Johnson 12-12-2007 - 12:28
  Re: DON'T Use Canada Signals here in USA for a UNIFORM system Wen Dover 12-13-2007 - 09:24

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com