Re: The Ultimate Railfan Rig - Steam Era Edition
Author: George Andrews
Date: 10-07-2013 - 19:37

Yes, my dad's shop truck Dodge ( or maybe Dodge ) had a 318, which I guess was the other option, as the Slant 6 was standard. Yea, it was a little cold - blooded as well, though not as bad in SoCal. We did have to block off half the radiator in the winter though, so the heater would work.
I helped take the heads off for a valve job, after it had been driven for a year or so with a burnt exhaust valve. While the heads were @ the Rebuilder I took a Dumore hand grinder with wire brush head and ground the carbon off the piston tops and upper cylinder walls. Probably ran over 250,000 miles on the bottom end w/o taking off the oil pan. My dad was very fussy about regular ( 4,000 miles max ) oil & filter changes. With a 2-barrel carb ya couldn't hurt the engine much. Real easy to work on, too; just open the hood all the way, ( 90 degrees ) wedge in a 2x4 between the hood and cowl, and I could sit on the inner fenders to work on it !!!
We did experience one strange deal with the Dodge though. From time to time the Distributor cap would explode !!! The local mechanic said that fuel was entering the inside through the vacumn advance, which sounded hinky to my dad. So I started to pay attention to just when it was occurring, during hard acceleration with lots of weight in the back. My cousin Johnny, owning a similar 1966 Dodge, figured out the motor mounts had grown old, allowing the engine torque to push the Distributor cap against the firewall, wherein the rotor would carve through the cap !!! Sooo... we jacked up the engine and installed new motor mounts, then I took a large persuader ( steel beater bar ) and " re-contoured " the firewall a bit to allow more clearance. Never did use that local mechainc again though.
I'm reminded of the shirts the Mt. Emily Shay guys had made up, with the saying: " If it can't be fixed with a Hammer or a Torch -- It's an Electrical Problem." In this case it was both !!!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  The Ultimate Railfan Rig - Steam Era Edition Bruce Kelly 10-04-2013 - 12:05
  Re: The Ultimate Railfan Rig - Steam Era Edition Bruce Butler 10-04-2013 - 16:55
  Re: The Ultimate Railfan Rig - Steam Era Edition Joe Spano 10-04-2013 - 19:59
  Re: The Ultimate Railfan Rig - Steam Era Edition Dilbert 10-04-2013 - 20:01
  Re: The Ultimate Railfan Rig - Steam Era Edition Dan Hein 10-04-2013 - 20:08
  Re: The Ultimate Railfan Rig - Steam Era Edition George Andrews 10-05-2013 - 10:08
  Re: The Ultimate Railfan Rig - Steam Era Edition P. Kepler 10-05-2013 - 19:29
  Re: The Ultimate Railfan Rig - Steam Era Edition George Andrews 10-07-2013 - 19:37
  Re: The Ultimate Railfan Rig - Steam Era Edition P. Kepler 10-08-2013 - 15:33

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com