Facing Point Lock on an SP Spring Switch
Author: SP5103
Date: 11-10-2013 - 18:25

There are numerous references to Facing Point Locks on Spring Switches within ABS as used by the Southern Pacific. I know what a facing point lock when used in Interlocking, but a spring switch would have different considerations.

A train approaching a spring switch for a facing point movement must be prepared to stop short and hand operate the switch unless it receives a proceed signal or there is a switch point indicator. I could see where a train making a facing point move at a good speed could get in a whole lot of trouble if the spring/buffer system failed allowing the point to move. I assume an approaching train would cause an electric locking mechanism to lock the points for a facing point move, but the circuit could not lock it in front of a trailing move from a diverging route and would have to unlock to allow it to hand throw.

I never ran into one of these or hunted one down. Anyone familiar how they work?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Facing Point Lock on an SP Spring Switch SP5103 11-10-2013 - 18:25
  Re: Facing Point Lock on an SP Spring Switch Dr Zarkoff 11-10-2013 - 22:07
  Re: Facing Point Lock on an SP Spring Switch SP5103 11-11-2013 - 09:09
  Re: Facing Point Lock on an SP Spring Switch George Andrews 11-11-2013 - 11:49
  Re: Facing Point Lock on an SP Spring Switch SP5103 11-11-2013 - 13:56
  Re: Facing Point Lock on an SP Spring Switch Dr Zarkoff 11-11-2013 - 16:44

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com