Re: Further comments loosely related
Author: Steven D. Johnson
Date: 01-11-2007 - 13:55

The Figarden extension of the pass is actually beneficial for meets, thereby keeping things a little more fluid- regardless of what the people who decided to buy a house 20 feet from the track think. Sometimes trains are stored there, but with fuel conservation rules, as well as Auto-Start on newer locomotives (and also now being configured into older power), most power on the head end and DP shuts down by itself within 10 minutes or so. The power (lead engine only) restarts automatically when MR pressure falls below a prescribed (110 PSIG?)limit to help ensure BP pressure remains constant.

Fresno brought this perceived problem onto themselves by allowing building permits over the last 90+ years within close proximity of the track- and they're still doing it, albeit 100-200 feet away (see developments at west Herndon avenue).

Occassionally, I'd catch the 315 Local (MODSEL) with Cliff Henderson. After the ususal griping about me being late (10 minutes early), we'd van to Riverbank, gather up our power, run light to Empire and build the train up in east Empire yard. There, he showed me how to wrap the hose once around the hose support, then make the air. This was an effective way to keep the hoses from getting too low and eliminated seperation at high grade crossings like what Glen described. Most of these boxcars are equipped with cushioning devices, and this arrangement neccesetates [sic] longer air hose arrangements.

I also understand he was responsible for a pile of good 'bungy' cords left at Empire to pick up hoses that couldn't be wrapped like that.

This all-boxcar train is just about as hot as the Zs 8 and 9 and rolls into Calwa around 6 a.m. or so six days a week.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Railroad Newsline for Monday, 01/08/07 Larry W. Grant 01-08-2007 - 00:11
  Fresno Bee gradecrossing photograph Dick Seelye 01-09-2007 - 00:51
  Re: Fresno Bee gradecrossing photograph Bill Calmes 01-09-2007 - 09:49
  Re: Fresno Bee gradecrossing photograph Jonathan Grant 01-09-2007 - 17:09
  Re: Fresno Bee gradecrossing photograph Steven D. Johnson 01-10-2007 - 13:25
  Re: Fresno Bee gradecrossing photograph William Nicholson 01-10-2007 - 18:55
  Re: Fresno Bee gradecrossing photograph Glen Icanberry 01-10-2007 - 23:18
  Re: Further comments loosely related Steven D. Johnson 01-11-2007 - 13:55

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com