Re: How not to chase trains
Author: Q
Date: 04-22-2014 - 12:50

Steve,

I might've been inclined to tease you a bit; but I once got not only myself, but several others in one fine mess several years ago. I was hardly minding my own business one fine but wet spring day; drivin' a Ford Maverick along side the ATSF at Port Chicago, between the SP and the Santa Fe, just west of the crossing.

I thought I was on a gravel road just barely covered with grass. It was - for a while! But I failed to notice when the gravel ended, and just kept on going. That is, until I noticed all the standing water and no gravel. I sank in the mud the instant I slacked off the pedal; all the way to the floor boards at all four wheels! And just a few feet from the ATSF main track too. Luckily, I was far enough away so as to not get hit.

At first I hoped a friendly engineman would come along and let me tie on so he could drag me out. But of course, I soon realized the silliness of that idea. I then set out across the field to where an SP track worker was parking a dump truck. I had to slog several hundred yards in mud and water up to my knees! Almost got myself stuck, as the suction of the mud was extreme.

In an attempt to help, he set out in his own truck across that field! When I realized what he was doing, I yelled DON'T. . . . . . .! But it was too late. He too sank all four to the floor! He went back and got the SP dump truck and sank it too! He then called in a tow truck, but it got stuck as well. Now there are four vehicles stuck in that swamp!

Later, just as it was getting dark, a refinery worker came along in a four wheel jeep and tried to help, and also got stuck. But he then tied his winch to a spur track and pulled himself out. He then tied his jeep to the spur and used his winch, in combination with the tow truck's line, to pull the rest of us out. Funny how he knew far more tricks than the tow truck operator.

What a day! And what a guy! He accepted no payment from anyone, was just glad to help. And neither did the tow truck operator, nor did the SP track worker. And neither did any of them offer a single word of lecture or rebuke to a young wet behind the ears and brash trespasser, who surely deserved it!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  How not to chase trains Steve Sloan, of San Jose 04-19-2014 - 09:26
  Re: How not to chase trains Rich Hunn 04-19-2014 - 09:49
  Re: How not to chase trains Ed Workman 04-19-2014 - 16:36
  Re: How not to chase trains Nick K. 04-19-2014 - 17:35
  Re: How not to chase trains George Andrews 04-19-2014 - 17:39
  Re: How not to chase trains Rich Hunn 04-19-2014 - 18:01
  Re: How not to chase trains SGB 04-19-2014 - 18:55
  Re: How not to chase trains HUTCH 7.62 04-19-2014 - 22:24
  Re: How not to chase trains Jon Porter 04-19-2014 - 19:09
  Re: How not to chase trains George Andrews 04-20-2014 - 09:28
  Re: How not to chase trains MJR 04-21-2014 - 18:21
  Re: How not to chase trains George Andrews 04-21-2014 - 20:41
  Re: How not to chase trains Q 04-22-2014 - 12:50

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com