FRA, PTC & Class 1 Steam Train Programs
Author: NW Steam Fan
Date: 03-01-2015 - 18:32

Silly question given that it is probably WAY down the priority list of concerns for any Class 1 railroad manager, but does anyone know if any thought has been given by the UP, NS, etc. as to how on-board PTC computer systems would be implemented on their "heritage program" steam locomotives? Has the FRA given any thought to this issue? I presume that most of the trips made by these steam locomotives are on lines that will be eventually PTC-equipped (by regulation), thus necessitating this installation, or else an FRA waiver exempting

Given the very limited cab space and lack of many electronics on this steam locomotives, I am suspecting that an FRA waiver application would probably be the route that makes the most sense in terms of the technology and space incompatability, but would the FRA be amenable to granting such waivers, especially since these units are almost exclusively used in passenger service (vs. freight or light-engine).

I just hope that PTC doesn't put the nail in the coffin of what few mainline steam trips are left in this country.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  FRA, PTC & Class 1 Steam Train Programs NW Steam Fan 03-01-2015 - 18:32
  Re: FRA, PTC & Class 1 Steam Train Programs Shortline Sammie 03-01-2015 - 19:34
  Re: FRA, PTC & Class 1 Steam Train Programs Mister Ed 03-01-2015 - 19:34

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com