Re: Favorite preserved steam; favorite railroad museum
Author: Pittsburgher
Date: 03-07-2015 - 18:06

I have several favorites in both categories.

Preserved steam:

CMStP & P 261
SP & S 700
SP 2472
SP 4449

Museums

Lake Superior Railroad Museum in Duluth, MN

1) Most of the locomotives operated in the Upper Midwest, unlike other museums which collect pieces which were never used in the area (or even region) in which they operated
2) Most of the equipment is in great shape
3) The North Shore Scenic Railroad, a 26-mile former Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range line linking Duluth with Two Harbors, provides an great line on which to operate the museum's equipment.

New York Transit Museum
1) Good collection of historic subway cars - in good shape
2) One of the few rail transit museums in a city. One doesn't need a car to visit.
3) Vintage equipment operated on NYC transit lines

Pennsylvania Trolley Museum in Washington, PA(Disclaimer: I'm a member)
1) Great collection of nicely-restored trolley and interurban cars, most of which are operable
2) Has one of the oldest, if not the oldest, diesel locomotives an ARMCO Steel Baldwin Locomotive Works/Westinghouse Electric Corporation.
3) The focus is Pennsylvania
4) Great programming throughout the year to attract many different kinds of visitors

and, this will be controversial, but...

California State Railroad Museum
1) Where else can I see a Cab-Forward?
2) The 1999 RailFair continues to be one of my most enjoyable railfan experiences.

I have also had great experiences on the Cumbres & Toltec (rode it three times, even though I live in Pennsylvania), but I don't consider as much a museum (although there is some excellent preservation) as a wonderful train ride.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Favorite preserved steam; favorite railroad museum Glen Brewer 03-07-2015 - 08:49
  Re: Favorite preserved steam; favorite railroad museum correction 03-07-2015 - 10:36
  Re: Favorite preserved steam; favorite railroad museum [ET] That Genset Foamer 03-07-2015 - 11:13
  For those wanting 3025 steamed up... [ET] That Genset Foamer 03-07-2015 - 11:18
  Re: Favorite preserved steam; favorite railroad museum Jim Fitzgerald 03-07-2015 - 15:22
  Re: Favorite preserved steam; favorite railroad museum Kenn 03-07-2015 - 15:55
  Re: Favorite preserved steam; favorite railroad museum Short Line Guy 03-07-2015 - 17:01
  Re: Favorite preserved steam; favorite railroad museum Pittsburgher 03-07-2015 - 18:06
  Re: Favorite preserved steam; favorite railroad museum jethat 03-07-2015 - 18:07
  Re: Favorite preserved steam; favorite railroad museum Edward 03-07-2015 - 20:43
  Re: Favorite preserved steam; favorite railroad museum Argonaut 03-07-2015 - 22:26
  Re: Favorite preserved steam; favorite railroad museum P. Kepler 03-08-2015 - 10:19
  Re: Favorite preserved steam; favorite railroad museum Performance Center, Marty 03-08-2015 - 19:16

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com