Re: Chalkings, Scribblings, and Drollery on the Rails
Author: Nudge
Date: 05-03-2015 - 18:16

There were still a lot of Bo's riding when I hired out. When I was fireing, I would go thru the power twice a trip. Sure enough you would find a Bo or two in the cabs. I would tell them not to touch anything, and then check the heater breakers so they could stay warm. I then told them I hadn't seen them and continued on. If they were short of water I would bring them some on the way back through. You knew who was a Bo and who wasn't. If they were drunk pickers, I would have them step out of the cab and then bar the door.

The old Bo's deserved respect and they didn't tear up the inside of the engines. The ones that are out there now are up to no good and are packing.

As far as their "Bo Names" or other names attached, a lot of them were great. Herbe comes to mind. He was a switchman on the SP. I think there was a "Red Bank Fred" ? Under the bridge at the east end of Cuesta, there were a bunch from the steam days when they were going slow and a little jungle. Tony has the old motor car shed ? from Ashland and there were a bunch of names carved into the wood. He made sure they were all protected when they went to restore it.

There was a guy in Wat. Jct. that hung around the old depot or change room for years. He took off once or twice a year for a week but came right back. He had a big dog that was with him for years. He and the dog looked like they hadn't bathed in years. The Bo's clothes were matted with dirt. He was a little off the bubble but never caused any problems. The crews would always think of him and bring him to go dinners. And water was no problem. Rumor had it it he was from a rich family (SF?) and they sent him some money a few times a year.

I can remember a lot of happings out on the pike but these guys were a tad under the surface as I go back thinking about it. Those are the people you never hear about but they were a regular item in railroad life.

Nudge

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Chalkings, Scribblings, and Drollery on the Rails Pdxrailtransit 05-03-2015 - 12:15
  Re: Chalkings, Scribblings, and Drollery on the Rails Mellow Mike 05-03-2015 - 13:03
  Re: Chalkings, Scribblings, and Drollery on the Rails pdxrailtransit 05-03-2015 - 13:38
  Re: Chalkings, Scribblings, and Drollery on the Rails Hank 05-03-2015 - 14:15
  Re: Chalkings, Scribblings, and Drollery on the Rails Roxanna 05-03-2015 - 15:23
  Re: Chalkings, Scribblings, and Drollery on the Rails Nudge 05-03-2015 - 18:16
  Re: Chalkings, Scribblings, and Drollery on the Rails Mossback 05-04-2015 - 09:43
  Re: Chalkings, Scribblings, and Drollery on the Rails pdxrailtransit 05-04-2015 - 13:34
  Re: Chalkings, Scribblings, and Drollery on the Rails Mkke H. 05-04-2015 - 19:42
  The Old Guard pdxrailtransit 05-04-2015 - 19:47
  Re: The Old Guard trkinsptr 05-05-2015 - 18:45
  Re: The Old Guard Al Tomante 05-05-2015 - 19:09
  Re: The Old Guard pdxrailtransit 05-05-2015 - 19:47
  Re: The Old Guard Herby 05-05-2015 - 21:39
  Re: The Old Guard Al Tomante 05-06-2015 - 08:20

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com