Re: Google app to warn drivers about railroad crossings
Author: BOB2
Date: 06-30-2015 - 10:20

Caltrans and many of my transit operators had/have very bad GIS data on the locations of loops, sensors, signals, and things like bus stops.

I have seen various grade crossing lists that lead me to the same conclusion. There are also thousands of abandoned crossings, as well. As many as two hundred in and around downtown LA from what I observed from the Alameda Street study several years ago.

For a while, in the late 90's and early 2000's I found myself constantly driving to locations with a GPS ball on my truck, and a laptop, entering data. And, it is a lot of work.

I regularly loaned this out to transit agencies, who found that hiring interns, and driving around with a gps antenna and collecting new data was "faster, better, cheaper" than trying to "fix" the bad data, that had accumulated over the years, often in different formats, programs, or coordinate systems.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Google app to warn drivers about railroad crossings Howard 06-30-2015 - 08:39
  Re: Google app to warn drivers about railroad crossings BOB2 06-30-2015 - 09:23
  Re: Google app to warn drivers about railroad crossings mook 06-30-2015 - 10:03
  Re: Google app to warn drivers about railroad crossings BOB2 06-30-2015 - 10:20
  Re: Google app to warn drivers about railroad crossings mook 06-30-2015 - 21:15
  Re: Google app to warn drivers about railroad crossings Earwig 06-30-2015 - 12:09
  Android Phones Pdxrailtransit 06-30-2015 - 16:42
  Re: Android Phones theconductor 06-30-2015 - 21:41

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com