Re: What Do These SP Mileposts Indicate?
Author: John Sweetser
Date: 09-08-2015 - 14:57

LoverofLore wrote:

>Here are some pictures of mileposts on an SP line...

As I stated on this forum on Sept. 1 and Sept. 3, these are not mileposts but rather culvert or bridge markers. It just creates confusion by continually referring to them as "mileposts."

>It is interesting to speculate what these might mean?

It's not necessary to "speculate" if you get a copy of SP common standard plan C.S. 11 for culvert and bridge markers, which, as I previously mentioned, can be found on pg. 37 of the July 1974 "NMRA Bulletin." Contact the Calif. State RR Musuem Library or the NMRA's Kalmbach Memorial Library for a photocopy or scan of this page.

The free-standing-type culvert or bridge markers seen in most of the posted photos here are EXACTLY the kind depicted in C.S. 11.

Culverts or bridges that had structural members above ground usually had their identifying number/letter combinations attached directly to them.

>But does anyone have access to SP's milepost manual?

The SP didn't have a milepost "manual," just one-sheet plans for mileposts (I have copies of the standard plans for the older wooden mileposts as well for the more modern metal mileposts). Milepost plans, though, do not apply to your questions since they don't depict signs like seen in the photos.

LoverofLore later wrote:

>Is it possible that G stands for cattle guard because I do notice those appear in all the G marker pics.

"All" of the pictures? What about the "15M" pic? That photo clearly shows a cattle guard.

Cattle guards probably received culvert markers because they had open channels under the track. SP cattle guard plans do not call for attached signs with a "G" on them.

Finally, this topic is not a "controvery" (sic) as you stated Sept. 3. To me, it's just straight-foward, especially after you posted the photos.

(by the way, I have in my possession an old-style free-standing culvert marker that came from the Oil City branch near Bakersfield. The numbers are "311" while below is an "A")

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  What Do These SP Mileposts Indicate? LoverofLore 09-05-2015 - 21:01
  Re: What Do These SP Mileposts Indicate? SP5103 09-05-2015 - 22:23
  Re: What Do These SP Mileposts Indicate? LoverofLore 09-05-2015 - 23:01
  Re: What Do These SP Mileposts Indicate? Alfred Doten 09-06-2015 - 07:26
  Re: What Do These SP Mileposts Indicate? John Sweetser 09-08-2015 - 14:57
  Re: What Do These SP Mileposts Indicate? LoverofLore 09-08-2015 - 22:39
  Re: What Do These SP Mileposts Indicate? R Ruiz 09-10-2015 - 23:44

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com