Re: Renovaion of Seattle Union Staion (photos)
Author: OldPoleBurner
Date: 05-11-2008 - 23:13

Now I'm a tad confused!

I was last there in Seattle in the mid 70's (75-78); before Amtrak got its act together (such as it is) - took Amtrak's imitation of a passenger train back to the Bay Area. It was a miserable trip; mostly because the lexan windows were VERY badly scratched and hard to see out of; and because deferred running gear maintenance made it into a roller coaster ride. (Oh, and I forgot - a gouchy authoritarian conductor)

But I digress: I seem to remember boarding from a Seattle station that had street access from its upper level. Because we were dropped off late, we had to dash in very quickly from the street and downstairs to the ticket counter and concourse, and right out to board just as the train started.

All the nearby streets seemed as though they were elevated or something. There were only a couple of tracks in front of the station (I thought under a street), but as we departed, just to the south of the station on the right were a couple of shorter tracks with a canopied platform. Several private varnish cars were on them. To the north of the station I thought I saw what looked like a tunnel. As we continued on south out of the station, I noticed what seemed to be the end of many empty tracks of another station under the same street on the left.

Though I only got a very quick glimpse; still, neither of the stations in these pictures seem to fit that memory at all - no upper level street access. Which station is Amtrak using now? Back then? If it was King Street (I thought it was), what happend to the upper steet level entrance?

Please - re-orient me?

OPB

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Renovaion of Seattle Union Staion (photos) Marty Bernard 05-07-2008 - 12:05
  Re: Renovaion of Seattle Union Staion (photos) William Nicholson 05-07-2008 - 13:06
  Re: Renovaion of Seattle Union Staion (photos) bigdogstx 05-07-2008 - 22:51
  Re: Renovaion of Seattle Union Staion (photos) Marty Bernard 05-08-2008 - 07:27
  Re: Renovaion of Seattle Union Staion (photos) OldPoleBurner 05-11-2008 - 23:13
  Re: Renovaion of Seattle Union Staion (photos) Sasquatch 05-12-2008 - 12:17
  Re: Renovaion of Seattle Union Staion + King St. too George Andrews 05-12-2008 - 20:01
  Re: Renovaion of Seattle Union Staion + King St. too OldPoleBurner 05-16-2008 - 21:41

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com