A bit of East Bay / Golden State related history
Author: Dick
Date: 05-08-2008 - 23:38

In 1947, Wm K Walthers chartered a train to the 1947 NMRA convention in Oakland. From Seattle, I joined the charter Denver to Oakland. The train returned to Chicago via Los Angeles. Wonder if NMRA or Walthers archives have histories of the trip. Mr. Walthers wore a long-sleeve white shirt and business suit every day. To him, this was a business trip.

A day sidetrip was provided from Salida to Marshall Pass. This introduction to real Rocky Mountain narrow gauge "caused" my one-year later trip from Seattle to college in New England to be routed via about 2/3 of The Narrow Gauge Loop, and my much later volunteering several summers on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic.

I remember visiting the East Bay layouts in the Emeryville warehouse. Thanks. It was BIG.

Before heading North, I visited Market Street. WOW
Many years later, I participated in the design of the overhead contact system for "post BART" Market Street, East of Van Ness.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  75th Anniversary - Golden State Model Railroad Museum WALT F 05-08-2008 - 15:35
  A bit of East Bay / Golden State related history Dick 05-08-2008 - 23:38
  Re: 75th Anniversary - Golden State Model Railroad Museum Key Route Ken 05-09-2008 - 11:47

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com