[www.theunion.com]

Locomotive project chugging along

Train buffs eye 2009 completion of Porter steam locomotive replica

By Dave Moller
Senior Staff Writer, davem@theunion.com
» More from Dave Moller
senior Staff Writer
12:01 a.m. PT May 11, 2008

The little engine that could is nearing completion at the Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum, thanks to volunteer labor and love.

For two years, a small group of senior citizen train buffs have been building an 1885 Porter steam locomotive from scratch.

The engines were used for short trips around industrial sites, and the new one will be featured at the Nevada City museum's yard, hopefully by summer or fall of next year.

The community has contributed $23,000 toward the project. "But we need another $12,000 to complete it," said Rolf Laessig, the group leader.

Most of the locomotive has been hand-machined and crafted by the men, who enjoy the social aspects of their three-day-a-week volunteer job. Other parts have been built by Sierra Metal Fabricators in Nevada City.

"You can't just go to a hardware store and pick it up," Laessig said of the parts. "The burner cost almost $5,000."

The propane burner will be used to fuel the engine's steam generator quickly and to cut down on emissions once it starts making short runs in the yard.

Crew member Dick Patton moved to Nevada County last year partly because of the museum and the project. "I'm getting ready to run a smaller steam engine on my property, and I have to lay the track now," Patton said.

"I'm learning more machining skills, and the social part is great with the guys," he said.

"It's just fun," added crew member Richard Schilling. "I have a fascination with steam locomotives because unlike diesels, there's lots of parts and everything is moving, Plus, it's just a great group of guys."

The crew called in wood workers Milt Schmidt and Don Tallitsch to help with the now-affixed cab of the engine. Crew member Dick Marundee helped Schmidt assemble the front, and the crew did the rest.

"We did the work on the cab in my garage and hauled it over" to the museum, Schmidt said.

Though the project needs more money, the crew can see progress and feels pride.

"These locomotives are not built anymore," Laessig said. "Railroads started this country's industrialization."

He also pointed out, "The kids have a great time with locomotives and it brings back the history to them."

You can see the locomotive from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. this coming Saturday during the Nevada County Museum Discovery Day. The train museum commemorates the old narrow gauge railroad between Grass Valley and Colfax is at 5 Kidder Court at Bost Avenue in Nevada City.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Train buffs eye 2009 completion of Porter steam locomotive replica Doug Jensen 05-12-2008 - 10:02

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com