Re: BNSF Fuel Saving Initiative-Battery Life?
Author: BOB2
Date: 06-12-2008 - 19:25

Taking down the Christmas lights back in 74 and 79 didn't save much petroleum, which was the real problem, at that time. Shutting down walkway lights alone wouldn't directly save much either. But, that is probably not what is going on here.

As a BNSF stockholder, I am okay with all measures to conserve energy to reduce costs. So, I assume that they're already shutting down the unit. Otherwise, I assume someone's ass is getting ripped with RR diesel at these prices.

If this were a problem of safety due to poor lighting while "operating", I would be extremely concerned. Employee lawsuits from unsafe conditions have cost railroads a fortune. When I was a Union Rep, I made perfectly good money (to buy even more stock?), as an expert witness, for highly successful FELA attorney's. This occurred most often when people were hurt by company stupidity. This doesn't sound, to me, like it is a safety problem, however.

If, as I suspect, they are already shutting down the engine, and there is a significant drain on the battery from the lights, then that's the reason. How long is the shutdown? Sending out a roundhouse crew to restart an engine with dead batteries is another needless expense. And, that roundhouse truck uses $5 a gallon fuel, too! So, if that's the real problem, then they should shut off the lights, and keep Warren Buffet and my dividend checks coming!

It may sound like a stupid thing to do, but, in this case, it might not be?

BOB2

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  BNSF Fuel Saving Initiative Bob White 06-12-2008 - 16:29
  Re: BNSF Fuel Saving Initiative dave 06-12-2008 - 17:06
  Re: BNSF Fuel Saving Initiative-Battery Life? BOB2 06-12-2008 - 19:25

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com