Re: Education level & behavior of railfans improving
Author: OldPoleBurner
Date: 09-30-2016 - 12:35

> Railroads are just a subject to point their lenses at.

Wasn't it always this way? Most just watched the trains, as that was their interest, While some such as yourself had a more detailed interest.

When I was a kid (tweenybopper), I was given a "Brownie". Anybody remember those inexpensive cameras? I went around town taking pictures of anybody and anything that caught my fancy. But it had never occurred to me to chase a train just to take a picture of it.

Nevertheless, numerous adults around town who noticed my activity would call me "Shutter-bug". But when I showed them my stuff, several wanted to know where the train pictures were. I got the impression that trains were generally expected to be just that, to a "Shutter-Bug"; an interesting subject to point a lens at! I've always thought it was expected of all photography buffs - to shoot train pictures, along with other subjects.

Apparently, way back then, when society still seemed much more sensible about a lot of stuff, taking pictures of trains, and indeed, even "playing" with toy or model trains, was much more socially acceptable than it is now. It was not necessary back then to "educate" a policeman, or anyone else, about the photography hobby, or train watching or model railroading either.

Indeed, in the first half of the last century, going down to the small town station just to sit a spell and watch, was as common as apple pie. It was just part of American life (still is a big deal in Britain); no "railfan" label was usually applied, especially when it was grandma that did it. But somewhere along the way (60s onward), we've slowly as a society, apparently grown intolerant of many such activities. In my 40+ years in signal engineering, I've sometimes even met other signalmen that were intolerant of my avid interest in the profession; something I have always considered a blessing, to be actually interested in what you do to put food on the table.

Nowadays: at best, those with avid interest in railroads (or photography), are considered weirdos; at worst, suspected of being plotting terrorists. If this slide into generic intolerance of the other guy's interest, or especially his/her excellence, continues - What is this world going to be like for my grandchildren ---

I fear it. -- It already saddens me.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Education level & behavior of railfans improving Inabsentia 09-27-2016 - 10:00
  Re: Education level & behavior of railfans improving Industrial Goth 09-27-2016 - 11:19
  Re: Education level & behavior of railfans improving Dan in San Diego 09-27-2016 - 13:32
  Re: Education level & behavior of railfans improving GP-9 09-27-2016 - 11:21
  Re: Education level & behavior of railfans improving SD70M 09-27-2016 - 14:55
  Re: Education level & behavior of railfans improving Jim Speaker 09-27-2016 - 19:08
  Re: Education level & behavior of railfans improving clipper841 09-27-2016 - 20:12
  Yeah right, some of these comments sure prove that? BOB2 09-28-2016 - 08:12
  Give Me A Break Bipolar 09-28-2016 - 16:41
  Re: Give Me A Break clipper841 09-28-2016 - 19:12
  Real Nice There, cliphair 841 Nice Guy 09-29-2016 - 14:58
  Re: Real Nice There, cliphair 841 clipper841 09-29-2016 - 15:28
  Re: Give Me A Break clipper841 09-28-2016 - 21:40
  Re: Education level & behavior of railfans improving OldPoleBurner 09-30-2016 - 12:35

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com