Hoboken - additional
Author: SP5103
Date: 10-06-2016 - 16:26

The news is reporting some new details.

The 20 year old event recorder was not functioning on the engine, so they had to wait for access to the cab car.

The train was traveling at 8 mph, but about 38 seconds before impact the throttle was opened and the train accelerated to 21 mph at impact.

The horn was sounded once for no known reason.

The engineer applied the brakes in emergency about one second before impact.

In a first - the NTSB used a drone to document the accident site but it didn't provide any insight as to the cause. (My comment - playing with a new toy, I wonder if it has PTC?)

The cab camera footage of the train, adjacent trains and surveillance video is mentioned, but nothing said about a camera view of the cab compartment.

NJT now requiring conductor to be in the cab of trains arriving Hoboken and Atlantic City.

My comment - 8 to 21 mph is an average speed of 14.5 mph or almost 22 fps x 38 seconds would be an estimated 836 feet from the bumper. Amazing how much can go to hell in such a short time. If conductor had been aware of what was happening he would have only had about half that time to pull the air and get stopped.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Hoboken - additional SP5103 10-06-2016 - 16:26

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com